Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect Cisco 887va to new BT Fibre Connection

Jimx26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

We have just had BT Fibre to property installed and the ONT uses an RJ45 cable. On our previous broadband it has an RJ11 that plugs into the back of the 887va. We use the router for external remote access so I need to keep this in our set up. Is there a way I can connect the RJ45 to the 887va?

Thanks James 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you can use the WAN ports  - based on the availability ports in the router and follow the BT DSL config to get IP address.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you,

Apologies very much an newbie and this has been dropped on me. There are four Wan ports on the back do I use one of those or the port labelled console/aux? Once in the right port do I follow the advice below?
Thank you 

James 

yes connect Ethernet delivery to one of the ports and con figured your dialer using that interface.

example :

https://www.expertnetworkconsultant.com/installing-and-configuring-network-devices/how-to-configure-your-cisco-887va-for-internet-connection/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

It seems your previous broadband was ADSL/VDSL based. Your new connection is ethernet based. You will have to migrate you configuration to ethernet.

As a an example you would create vlan 4 and configure the interface connected to the ONt to be int vlan 4. Then configure Interface vlan4 to be your Outside interface ( or NAT Outside interface if using NAT). You probably have a Dialer interface currently configured. If that is the case then you will need to bind that to interface vlan 4  e.g.

interface Vlan4
ip nat outside
pppoe enable group global
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Thanks

**Please rate posts you find helpful**