cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enquiry on HP Fiber Transciever Module Compatibility.

Khalid_Hussain
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco switch 2960-s PoE installed.

I was wondering if the HP Fiber module #AJ718A   ( http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3790470 ) is compatible with it.

if it is compatible, is there much difference between it and the cisco GLC-SX-MM ?

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I was wondering if the HP Fiber module #AJ718A   ( http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3790470 ) is compatible with it.

No it won't.  You insert this SFP into a Cisco 2960S and the port will go into "err-disable" until you remove it.

is there much difference between it and the cisco GLC-SX-MM ?

Not much difference.  There are only a few SFP manufacturers that supply components to bigger manufacturers like HP and Cisco.  The difference is that Cisco has inserted an algo into the Cisco-branded SFP's IDPROM.  The appliance will interrogate the component and if the hash values extracted from the IDPROM don't match, then the port goes into "err-disable".

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it won't.  You insert this SFP into a Cisco 2960S and the port will go into "err-disable" until you remove it.

is there much difference between it and the cisco GLC-SX-MM ?

Not much difference.  There are only a few SFP manufacturers that supply components to bigger manufacturers like HP and Cisco.  The difference is that Cisco has inserted an algo into the Cisco-branded SFP's IDPROM.  The appliance will interrogate the component and if the hash values extracted from the IDPROM don't match, then the port goes into "err-disable".

Thank you for the prompt response,

wow, i was searching left and right for an answer, i even contacted HP for it, they told me it is compatible.

something didnt feel right, so i had to ask over here.

it wouldnt damage the port if inserted would it?

i even contacted HP for it, they told me it is compatible.

Yes and no.  Yes, it's "compatible".  No, HP does not sell Cisco product (except the B22) so they wouldn't know whats the latest happening to their arch enemy.

it wouldnt damage the port if inserted would it?

It won't.  Like I said, there are only a few GBIC/SFP/X2 manufacturers worldwide that supply the components to Cisco and HP.  Both Cisco and HP do not manufacture these parts.  The parts themselves have to follow a set of standards.  The SFPs will fit but in the case of Cisco, if you insert a non-Cisco branded SFP, the SFP-port on the appliance will go into "err-disable". 

Thanks Bro..

Much appreciated.

Thanks Khalid.

There are two reasons why Cisco is very adamant that you use Cisco-branded parts:

1.  The part is guaranteed by Cisco to be working harmoniously with your Cisco appliance.  This means that when you insert the module, Cisco will guarantee that, for instance, you won't see any packet loss.  If the part is faulty, Cisco will replace it.

2.  This stops enterprising people (like you, for instance) from buying cheaper and non-Cisco branded parts and using it into the Cisco appliance. 

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The HP Fiber module #AJ718A is an 8Gbps Fiber Channel SFP+ module.  The Cisco GLC-SX-MM is a 1Gbps Ethernet SFP module. The HP #J4858C model transceiver would be the equilavent short-reach GigE (1000Base-SX) module.  But, as Leolaohoo points out, do not install it in the Cisco switch; use the Cisco transceiver. 

Thanks for the correction, Tom.