cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP+ to SFP

cmparish5
Level 1
Level 1

My provider is delivering internet over a 10Gb SM fiber to my Cisco ISR 4331 which has a 1Gb SFP. The ISP policed the ckt at 1Gb. Can I accept it on my 1Gb SFP?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure if you do not have an option, the other side auto-negotiate with your port. make sure you use right SFP optic.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe so.

A SFP+ port will work with gig or 10g optical transceiver, but believe the transceivers need to match on both ends of the fiber link.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not going to work.  Both optical modules must be of the same speed and the same wavelength.  

If the ISP is presenting SFP-10G-LR then the customer end must "match" the optics with the same type and wavelength.

What if the provider replaced their SFP+ with a SFP?  We ordered a 1Gb ckt with the ability to upgrade to 2Gb, so it was delivered via a 10Gb ckt on which they police us to the bandwidth we pay for.  But if they could replace their SFP to match our own then it should come up as a 1Gb ckt, correct?

Yes, correct.

Although both ends should have same modules, but I think if you use SFP optics it would work since SFP+ ports are compatible with those.