cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500A4C Wake on Lan issue

jzitnik
Level 1
Level 1

First, this all worked once on a previous core that was a 4500 on Campus1.  Config was transferred to a 9500 when we upgraded.  Most people seem to think that it stopped working with the move to the 9500 from the 4500.

Core switch (Campus1) is a 9500-48Y4C Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.03.04

Wake on Lan server is 192.168.0.151 (Microsoft System Center) on VLAN 3

On 9500

On VLAN 3

ip helper-address 192.168.34.255
ip helper-address 192.168.32.255

There are dozens of these commands on this interface for all the different networks with hosts that need to be WoL'd

On the 9500

ip forward-protocol udp discard
ip forward-protocol udp echo

On the 9500 Access Lists

ip access-list extended 101
10 permit udp host 192.168.0.151 any eq echo
20 permit udp host 192.168.0.151 any eq discard

On any vlan with a host that needs to be woken up:

ip helper-address 192.168.0.151
ip directed-broadcast 101

I've got echo and discard because I've read different WoL providers use different UDP ports

All switches to all campus buildings are trunked

All ports on edge switches with nodes attached have spanning-tree portfast

Packet captures show the WoL packet is not making it to the nodes on Campus1

This is only more confusing.  We have a separate campus (Campus2) with different VLANs specific to that campus that route across an old 3560E and hosts on those VLANs DO wake up using the same WoL server on Campus1.  If I didn't know better, I would almost think there was some bug preventing the WoL packets from going to VLANs that exist on the 9500 (the 9500 is where all VLANs are defined and routed for Campus1).

Does anyone have any ideas.  Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never come across this issue before, may be you need note the syntax may be changed from OLD to new code

Feature Information for IP Broadcast Packet Handling

The following table provides release information about the feature or features described in this module. This table lists only the software release that introduced support for a given feature in a given software release train. Unless noted otherwise, subsequent releases of that software release train also support that feature.

Use Cisco Feature Navigator to find information about platform support and Cisco software image support. To access Cisco Feature Navigator, go to www.cisco.com/go/cfn. An account on Cisco.com is not required.
Table 1. Feature Information for IP Broadcast Packet Handling

Feature Name

Releases

Feature Information

IP Directed Broadcasts

CISCO IOS XE 16

Enables the translation of a directed broadcast to physical broadcasts.

The following command was introduced or modified by this feature: ip directed-broadcast .

IP Network Broadcasts

CISCO IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.1

Discards traffic on receipt, unless explicitly configured to allow.

The following command was introduced or modified by this feature: ip network-broadcast .

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/xe-17/iap-xe-17-book/m_iap-bph-0.html#GUID-815E848E-9807-4A5F-A21B-E11067E119ED

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never come across this issue before, may be you need note the syntax may be changed from OLD to new code

Feature Information for IP Broadcast Packet Handling

The following table provides release information about the feature or features described in this module. This table lists only the software release that introduced support for a given feature in a given software release train. Unless noted otherwise, subsequent releases of that software release train also support that feature.

Use Cisco Feature Navigator to find information about platform support and Cisco software image support. To access Cisco Feature Navigator, go to www.cisco.com/go/cfn. An account on Cisco.com is not required.
Table 1. Feature Information for IP Broadcast Packet Handling

Feature Name

Releases

Feature Information

IP Directed Broadcasts

CISCO IOS XE 16

Enables the translation of a directed broadcast to physical broadcasts.

The following command was introduced or modified by this feature: ip directed-broadcast .

IP Network Broadcasts

CISCO IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.1

Discards traffic on receipt, unless explicitly configured to allow.

The following command was introduced or modified by this feature: ip network-broadcast .

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/xe-17/iap-xe-17-book/m_iap-bph-0.html#GUID-815E848E-9807-4A5F-A21B-E11067E119ED

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I believe that @balaji.bandi has identified the main issue. Devices in campus 2 are using older devices with older code and the syntax works for them. Vlans in campus 1 are using newer devices with newer code and the syntax has changed. Update the syntax on the campus 1 vlans and it should then work.

I would like to comment on this part of the original post

On any vlan with a host that needs to be woken up:

ip helper-address 192.168.0.151
ip directed-broadcast 101

You do not need both of these commands on an interface. You need the helper-address command on the interface where the directed broadcast is generated but do not need this command on the interface where it is received. And you need to directed broadcast/network broadcast on the interface where the directed broadcast is received and turned into a local broadcast.

HTH

Rick

Thank you.  I'll clean up the config on the 9500.  Once upon a time, I believe the 0.151 machine was also a dhcp server, so that may be the reason for that line in the config, but I do so much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The helper address pointing to 0.151 does suggest that at some point this might have been a DHCP server. And in light of that I need to modify what I said in my earlier post "You do not need both of these commands on an interface." If directed-broadcast was for WoL and helper-address was for DHCP then both commands on the interface would be correct.

i am glad that our suggestions have been helpful.  This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the help.  I think this made a big difference.  We had problems outside of just this Wake on LAN issue, some of it is just the ability to Wake up machines that have been off for a length of time, but on packet captures on different networks, we are seeing the WoL packets come through.

Hello,

are you using Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Configuration Manager) by any chance ? And is the switch configured or 802.1x ?

It could be useful to post the entire running configuration of the 9500...