cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configure multiple ports in switches running IOS?

rolandshum
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure multiple ports in a Catalyst switch running IOS 12.0 the way you can with CatOS? I used to be able issue a command like set port duplex 9/1-48 full and not have to configure each individual port.I haven't been able to find the correct syntax if it's even possible.

12 Replies 12

Hello,

try the ´interface range´ command, e.g.:

interface range FastEthernet0/1 - 24

this will get you to the prompt:

Switch(config-if-range)#

Here, whatever you configure, applies to all FastEthernet interfaces 0/1 through 0/24.

HTH,

Georg

Syntax example in global config to select specific ports of interest.

(config)# interface range g1/0/1 , g1/0/6 , gi1/0/8 , g1/0/11 OR

(config)# interface range g1/0/1-11

Thanks!

Please sir let me know all commands which will be written in( config - if-range) mode.

Thanks 

Please sir let me know all commands which will be written in( config - if-range) mode.

Thanks 

config t
config interface
config interface range or
config interface-range gi1/0, gi1/22, gi2/2 or
config interface-range gi1/1 - gi1/22

play with the “?” and the tab assist to have the cisco ios finish the correct syntax for the command. I wish I could help more but an not currently in from of a terminal. Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Hello @Kamlesh Chouksey ,

in interface range mode you can provide commands like

switchport access vlan 10

switchport voice vlan 20

and so on the idea is that you can give all the interface level commands that are equal on all the interfaces in the range.

Later you can add a different description on each of the interfaces.

The most difficult part  is how to enter interface range mode the " " space characters are important in order to make the switch understand it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

William Kimandu
Level 1
Level 1

You can do this by using the rnage command:

for example

Interface range Fastethernet 0/1 - 24

this puts you in (config-range-if)

The crucial point to note is that you have to use space between the range of the interfaces you want to configure.

This command is also used with Vlans.

interface range VLan 1 - 4

A good reference is here,

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/range.htm

discount the macro options for the moment to make it easier for you.

sorry typo.

the interface range Fastethernet 0/1 - 24 puts in you in

(config-if-range) mode

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You say the switch is running IOS 12.0. I am assuming its an XL switch and the range command is not supported in it.

If you have newer 2950/3550/3750/4500/6500 running 12.1 and higher, you can use the interface range command

Thanks for the information, yes the switches are XL and I guess I have some upgrading to look into.

There is no 12.1 IOS for XL switches and hence you will not get the range command support for XLs