Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Architecture - FVRF

ChrisNewnham_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am just wondering if there are any specific architecture recommendations for using a FVRF in DMVPN, perhaps to avoid the potential recursive routing issue when a tunnel learns the route to the destination via the tunnel itself.

I know how to do it (tunnel vrf X), I'm just wondering what the recommended best practise is. I can't seem to find anything specific on it.

Thanks

Chris

2 Replies 2

Frond-VRF in DMVPN is very useful if you learn default route via tunnel. 
using VRF make you have two default route one in each routing table. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I am just wondering if there are any specific architecture recommendations for using a FVRF in DMVPN, perhaps to avoid the potential recursive routing issue when a tunnel learns the route to the destination via the tunnel itself."

Yes, it separates the tunnel's exterior end point public address routes from interior routes.

Years ago, I setup a DMVPN deployment (now called Phase I, I believe) where the spokes had specific static routes to the hub's external IP, but on the hub, I wanted to use a default route to the Internet as DMVPN "knew" spokes' external public IPs via NHRP.

Placing the hub tunnel in FVRF allowed me to use a default route, to direct outbound tunneling, while still having an interior default route.

As @MHM Cisco World noted, very useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: