cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual T1 Internet

m1c
Level 1
Level 1

Do any of you all have sample IOS for load balancing two ISP's (both T1 circuits) on a perimeter Internet router?

And this may be a knucklheaded question, but can Cisco Express Forwarding/ospf be used to do this?

9 Replies 9

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here's a good document discussing this issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009456d.shtml

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I can't get to it with my cco login - perhaps because I'm not a partner?

Can you email it to m1c@ingersoll-imc.com?

I think I may have a few problems. 1st, my MCI circuit is frame, AT&T is PPP. 2nd, my MCI address for the serial port is in the same network address range as the addresses they asssigned for our DMZ.

AT&T, they are in separate address ranges.

Sorry for the link. I just forwarded you the ducument in PDF format.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks. I think that the AT&T address scheme is really going to cause me problems regardless, unless I can add another LAN interface on the router corresponding to the MCI address range.

What do you think?

The fact that one of the circuit is FR and the other PPP is irrelevant.

Can you elaborate on what tou mean by the same network address range? Do you mean that the serial interface address and the dmz address belong to the same major net? It is very unlikely that you SP would have given you two set of addresses faling within the same subnet.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Our SP_A has given us xxx.212.198.170-175 (255.255.255.248), we use the 1st address for the S1 interface on the router, F0/0 is unnumbered to that address, then our PIX has address .171 & an internal address & PAT'ing.

SP_B gave us a single address (e.g., 69.212.119.l69/255.255.255.252) for our S1 interface. Then a 255.255.255.248 local address range (e.g., 69.212.171.10-15) for local LAN use. So we necessarily have to route on the perimeter router, with the .252 on S1 and .248 on F0/0 at least for now with the hardware we have.

And one is running frame, the other ppp. Can load balancing be done with different encapsulation?

hritter - would you mind forwarding me that .pdf as well? I dont have partner status and was looking for the same file.

thx! rob.vinson@networktelephone.net

I just forwarded the document to you Rob.

Enjoy,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

If you have a SmartNet login, just replace the word partner in the URL with the word "customer" to get access. This works with most cisco.com URLs, and with many you can also replace "partner" or "customer" with the work "public" if you have no login (but not this URL). This is a common problem with posted URLs by people who are always logged into cisco.com.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: