cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet run longer than 100m

coastside
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to implement a ethernet run over 100m? There is no power between the 2 points so a switch is not an option. Do they make some sort of amp, or booster?

7 Replies 7

dnewell24
Level 1
Level 1

My recommendation would be install fiber optic cabling. IEEE standard doesn't recommend running Ethernet twisted pair systems past 100m. Fiber optics has good signal carrying characteristics; therefore allowing it to carry the signal much further.

bayoucisco
Level 1
Level 1

You need power if you want to add any equipement that will allow you to run on more than 100m , as propose you should look for fiber optic connection

there are tranceivers that permit to convert a RJ45 interface to a fiber optic interface, maybe you should look for that kind of solution.

fibre shmiber!! Run the cable mate - lasoo it between to independent buildings with different groundging sources. Then make the users patch cords at least 50m long, make sure you wrap them up into a nice little ball of cable and ram it into the power conduit so that no one will notice it. Job Done - you will now have a job for life with the users constantly complaining about their absolutely rubbish service.

OR you can be boring and safe and go for the fibre option (multi-mode fibre is plentiful btw)

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

The spec is in terms of electrical charactoristics, the 100M distance limitation is a rule-of-thumb based on these specs. Having said that, it is possible to run a bit over 100M if the cable is good. If your run is 125M and you have a clean Cat5e or Cat6 circuit (no cross-connects, jumper panels, etc) it might work.

If the two ends of this run are in different buildings then I agree with the others who suggest running fibre.

Dave

dhillyard
Level 1
Level 1

For a REALLY long run you can use an SDSL ethernet extender. These get around 2.3 Mbps and run up to 24,000 feet! I've used them several times and they're pretty slick. They run over a single cable pair.

http://www.paradyne.com/products/SNE2020/

saranbkp
Level 1
Level 1

I have used 120m for IP cameras, with POE and it was ok. It works 24/7 for almost a year.. no problem.

No device is used between the camera and the switch

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How much longer?

As other noted, you can sometimes get away with good cables.  Sometimes dropping the transmission rate, to next lower tier, might help too.  There are also (I believe also mentioned by anther poster) LAN extenders, e.g. https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/products/black-box-brand-products/networking/extenders.