Helpful
Replies

Host name unresolved - Cisco Packet Tracer

XXXCEO
Level 1
Level 1

PTT.JPG

Hello,

I did a home connection using a wireless router and client.

I have a wireless router, 2 desktop computers, a laptop with a wireless interface card, a television, a cable modem and a cable splitter.

I have done all the configurations. I connected the two desktop computers to the router using a copper straight-through cable,

I connected the router to a cable modem using another copper straight-through cable.

The cable model and the television are separately connected to the coaxial cable splitter using a coaxial cable.

I have done the configuration of the desktops and laptop setting the DHCP to automatic configuration.

I have configured the wireless connection of the laptop and the router and they work fine.

I can access the default gateway address from the web browser in the desktop option and it leads me to the wireless router settings.

My challenge now is that after successfully configuring the laptop to use the wireless connection of the router, whenever I try to access a website, for example: skillsforall.srv or google.com, etc, it comes up with a notification: Host name unresolved.

How do I resolve this issue please?

NOTE: I am using Home wireless router in my Packet tracer topology.

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

First of all, PT does not have access to your Internet, Google, etc. If you want to simulate DNS and web service in PT, you must add server to topology and set it up.  PT comes with some Samples (File>Open Samples) to see how and what you can do in PT.

Also, you should watch free tutorial videos on Net academy about PT and how to use it

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

IMG_20220701_190959.jpg

I started another network connection. Is this what you mean please?

I included a server and a cloud internet

Hello,

what are the requirements ? You can use PTBridge to connect your Packet Tracer network to your 'real' home network...

Martin L
VIP
VIP

here is my example of www and dns based on PT sample of home router.  Make sure wireless get IP of DNS via DHCP.  Sometimes they do not get IP.  Regular PC are ok.  Note start with ping first, Try ping 10.10.10.2, then open web page using IP of 10.10.10.1 and then  www.cisco.com in PT 

you can also ping cisco.com

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I have finally resolved it.

I missed some configurations which actually weren't included in the tutorial I was using.

And yes, you were right, a server has to be configured properly for me to be able to access a host name through the web browser and ping it via command prompt. I will write the steps I used in the answer section if there's any here.

Thank you very much for you time.

XXXCEO
Level 1
Level 1

A Simple Network Connection and Configuration for Beginners

Using Cisco Packet Tracer (PT):

To be able to access a host name from the web browser tab of the desktop option in some of the network end devices in the Packet Tracer application, there must be a server in the workspace (topology, canvas, work area). So ensure you drag from the network connection tools area a server and drop it on the workspace.

You should rename this server to any name you want as your host. It can be dns server, cisco.srv, cisco.com, anything.srv, tc

Then you also drag and drop the cloud PT device which represents the internet. It can be seen in the WAN emulation tools in the network connection tools area at the bottom left of the PT window. Connect the server to the internet using a copper straight-through cable (Ethernet 6 port to FastEthernet0 port)

Then you configure the server.

Server Configuration:

Click on the server device on the workspace, a window will open

Click on IP Configuration ---> observe if the displayed has the services tab. If it doesn’t have, go to the PT window, --> option tab ---> preferences -> show/hide tab ----> uncheck the tab for show/hide name labels. You can choose to uncheck the other hidden tabs

Now re-click on the server device on the workspace ------------------ desktop tab ----> IP configuration ----- > toggle the static option to select it ---->> manually input the addresses except the subnet address which automatically immediately you enter the IPv4 address. Ensure the addresses are written in this format: YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY

Under the config tab in the displayed window, click on the global settings, you would notice it has been updated automatically with the information you entered on the IP configuration.

Also, click on the FastEthernet0 tab under config tab, the setting has also been automatically updated with the IP config settings information

Then click on the services tab.

Ensure the Http and HTTPs ribbon are on

Then click on the DHCP tab, ensure the FastEthernet0 service is on.

Name the pool “serverPool or serverPool1” or just anything

Enter the default gateway address and the DNS address generated from the IP configuration.

In the start IP option, only change the last values of the address, for example: 209.165.200.XX where XXX

If for instance the IP address is 209.165.200.225 from the IP configuration of the server, you can make the start IP option be 209.165.200.210

Look downward and click on the Add tab, then leave the DHCP and select the DNS tab

Turn on the DNS service

In the name field, write any name for what you want to use as your host name. For example: cisco.srv, www.cisco.srv, trial.srv, cisco, etc, just any name.

Enter the DNS address generated in the IP configuration in the field for DNS

Leave the type option as Record.

Then click on the Add tab

You can close the window or click on the desktop tab from the menu options at the top of the displayed window of the server device.

Desktop tab ----->> command prompt ----à type ipconfig /add (remember to leave a space before the slash symbol /) then press enter.

When it loads, you will see the addresses of what you configured including the IPv4, DNS and default gateway amongst others.

From the opened command prompt interface, type “ping cisco.srv” depending on if it’s part of hosts you created in the DNS service settings. If it is, then you will get four (4) replies. If it delays in responding, then press the fastforward icon close to the time at the network connection tools area of the Packet Tracer (PT)

You can then close the command prompt.

Click on the web browser and type “cisco.srv” in the search bar, it will load to the page. This indicates a successful configuration.

Always ensure this server configuration has been set before configuring other end devices such as PC, Laptop, router, etc. Once set, it is the information the others will receive in their DHCP request. Again, in the router configuration, the static DNS 1 address will have to be the DNS address of the server IP configuration.

Without this configuration, one would have issue with the host name and won't be able to ping it

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post

To fix the "Host name unresolved" problem on your laptop, make sure your wireless router is hooked up correctly to the cable modem and that the modem has a working internet connection. Check if your laptop is set to automatically get DNS settings or try setting it up manually with Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Give your laptop, router, and modem a restart and if that doesn't do the trick, clear the DNS cache on your laptop using the command prompt. Also, double-check if any firewall or security software is blocking your internet access.