cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP query!

amarsh
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 routers that are set up for HSRP with 4 subinterfaces fa0/0.10, fa0/0.32, fa0/0.60 & fa0/0.73.

VLAN 10 is our client backbone, where there routers are plugged into our backbone.

Now when I test the HSRP between the 2 routers, only two subinterfaces are correctly in Active/Standby mode for VLAN 10(fa0/0.10) & VLAN 73(fa0/0.73). The other 2 subinterfaces are both in Active/Active mode.

Looking at the switch configurations for the interfaces, I noticed that the 2 subinterfaces that are working correctly are both configured as trunked links with all relevant VLAN advertised across the trunk whereas the 2 (Active/Active) subinterfaces that link back to routers to the external client network are configured on the switch as "switchport access vlan" ports!

Would changing the switchport access vlan ports for the 2 active/active to trunk links change the result i am seeking to active/standby on the 2 routers promoting HSRP subinterfaces?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anthony

On November 21 you posted a question about this. There were several responses that continued to November 22, then you let the discussion lapse. Now it looks like you want to start again.

There is something in your question that I do not understand. You say that on the routers you have 4 subinterfaces. This would indicate that you have one physical connection from each router to a switch. Then describing the switch you say:"2 subinterfaces that are working correctly are both configured as trunked links" and 2 not working "are configured on the switch as "switchport access vlan" ports".

So how many switch ports are we talking about? Can you clarify this?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I did read and respond to the discussions but then did some more investigations, which has now brought me back here. Thanks for remembering though.

Okay, to clarify it 2 routers each with 1 physical interface configured with 4 subinterfaces.

Each physical interface from each router connects back to 2 separate switch ports and are both configured as trunk links.

When I issue the no shut command on each routers physical interface, I then see all 4 subinterfaces come up/up and after a while the HSRP protocol takes effect. When I then issue the show standby command I notice that on router A & B (2 subinterfaces are active local/standby secondary router's IP for that particular subinterface and the other 2 subinterfaces are active local/active local)

Hi,

looking at your earlier post and the last message, what I understand is you have two routers each connected to 2 seperate switchports and not the seperate switch.

Now for HSRP to function properly, both routers should be able to communicate on L2. You need to check if both your trunk ports on switch allow the other 2 VLAN which are shown as ACTIVE on both routers. Also, If you have these routers on two seperate swicthes then the back-back-connection between these switches should be a trunk port and should also allow all four VLANs.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Bhavesh,

I've checked both trunk ports on the switches and they are allowing all the vlans in question as specified in this reponse.

cust-sw01#sh int fa0/17 switchport

Name: Fa0/17

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled

Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Trunking VLANs Active: 1,10,17,32,40,50,60,70-75,80,88,90,100,111,112,300

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

cust-sw02#sh int fa0/23 switchport

Name: Fa0/23

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled

Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Trunking VLANs Active: 1,10,17,32,40,50,60,70-75,80,88,90,100,111,112,300

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Priority for untagged frames: 0

Override vlan tag priority: FALSE

Voice VLAN: none

Appliance trust: none

To clarify the statement "back-back-connection between these switches should be a trunk port and should also allow all four VLANs"

They are in fact trunk ports and all vlans including the 4 in question pass across the links.

I will check the L2 communications later today. Is there any specific thing I need to be looking for apart from identifying MAC address etc?

Thanks

anthony