cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing/redundancy

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can anyone show me a config about having 2 routers , 1 being redundant in case the other goes down !!

7 Replies 7

anything a little easier, I was hoping for an eay config to copy from ?

Hi Carl,

Here is the running config from my 2 routers.

####### Router 1 #######

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 151.4.0.21 255.255.255.0

ip accounting output-packets

load-interval 30

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 151.4.0.20

standby 1 priority 120

standby 1 preempt

######## Router 2########

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 151.4.0.22 255.255.255.0

ip accounting output-packets

load-interval 30

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 151.4.0.20

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

end

HTH,

-amit singh

Can you please explain this config and what both routers are doing ?

thanks

Carl

Carl,

These are my 2 routers at central site, configgured for HSRP i.e redundency. 151.4.0.20 is the Standby/virtual gateway IP for the host configured on both the routers.

Standby 1 ip x.x.x.x, command enables the HSRP. Stanby prority sets the prority to configure the router as the active one. By default, when both the routers boots up the one which come early becomes the Active router and other one goes into standby state. If both the routers boots up at the ame time, the one with the highest IP address becomes the Active one. If you want one of your specfic router to beocme the active always you confiure the priority.

Now if your active router goes dwon and the other router takes the active role and starts forwarding the packet. If your first router which went down come s back, then it will go into standby mode, thoguh you have configured the high prority on that router. If you want the router to force the election again when it come sback we use the command " standby preemt " that's given on the interfaces.

HTH,

-amit singh

So is 152.4.0.20 a seperate router altogether then, So how many routers have you actually got here ? is there 2 or 3 routers ?? are you saying you have 1 router and 2 backup routers !!

Or do you have 2 routers and configure standby on both of them and which one comes on first etc takes the role,

Please let me know asap as I would like to set this up !!!!

thanks a million

Can you please explain to me how you have achieved this, is there just 2 routers here ?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: