cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Measure WAN Usage

joytaylor
Level 1
Level 1

Our frame-relay connections between sites consistently perform at 235/255. Is there a way to decifer what traffic that is taking up the bandwidth?

Thank you,

jp

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Wouldnt recommend enabling this during busy hours, may cause router to slow down. Enable netflow on the router "ip route-cache flow" on the interfaces in question and do a "show ip route-cache flow" (if i remember the syntax right) to look at the protocol stats..

Btw the port numbers are in hex so its good to open a windows calculator (scientific mode) to convert the port numbers to decimal)

I have tracked down some viruses using the above command in our corporate network..

Or you could put a sniffer on the ethernet side and sniff traffic going to this router from all the vlans in your network.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Shanky,

I am using 3745 with IOS 12.2(13)T4.

I have enabled the ip route-cache flow on one of the serial interface.

When i go to user mode i am not able to see the command show ip route-cache flow.

Pls suggest....

Thanks

Irshad

Irshad,

The command is "show ip cache flow"..My typo..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

vgrigaliunas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

I'm not sure what type of equipment you are using, so it may not be supported, but you may want to look into NBAR (Network-based Application Recognition). Not sure how much resources it chews up either.

Later...

You can also IP accounting on the interfaces to know the source and the destination address that having a lot of data transfer...

Sai.

IP Accounting is fine........

but if i want to see the show ip route-cache..

How to see that.........

Waiting for the reply