Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple networks configured in single cisco router

jewedo828417539
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I had been allotted a private IP address in the range 10.53.1.* by my organisation, which uses Cisco 1941 router. later, I was asked to change my IP address to 10.255.53.* series and so did I. But some PCs in the same local network as mine are still in the 10.53.1.* range. The IP address 10.53.1.1 which was earlier configured as the LAN IP , still pings now and so does the IP Address 10.255.53.1 (We use subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 for both 10.53.1.* and 10.255.53.* series, so essentially 10.53.1.1 and 10.255.53.1 being the  router's IP address). My question is, how is it possible to have these two networks co-exist within the same router (at the 'configurational' level)? I have limited knowledge in networking so I am still not able to understand how both these networks (10.53.1.* and 10.255.53.*) can be configured in a single router, while 10.53.1.1 being the IP at the interface GE0/0. Is it possible to have networks like the latter which is not configured on any interface but I can ping every node in them? The GE0/1 is for the service provider end and configured with their WAN IP(which I cannot find out). Can someone clarify?

Regards,

Jewed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the description router may have a secondary address configured on Interface (this was only guess based on information)

if need any assistance we need to have that configuration - can you post-show run

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the description router may have a secondary address configured on Interface (this was only guess based on information)

if need any assistance we need to have that configuration - can you post-show run

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help