cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mutlicast - BSR vs AutoRP

ChrisNewnham_
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if there was a situation where you would prefer one over the other?

I know that AutoRP is Cisco Proprietary and relies on Dense mode to flood the mapping agent and candidate RP advertisements.

But I don't know besides that, why you would pick one over the other.

Also, if you had a multicast router that received a BSR message and RP-Mapping message for the same group with same prefix length, which one would it prefer?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ChrisNewnham_ 

As I know, multicast router receiving both a BSR message and an RP-Mapping message for the same group with the same prefix length, the router would typically prefer the RP-Mapping message. RP-Mapping messages provide explicit mappings between multicast groups and their respective RPs. This information allows routers to directly determine the RP for a specific group. BSR messages, on the other hand, are used for the discovery and advertisement of RPs in the network. When both messages are received, the RP-Mapping message takes precedence in determining the RP for the group.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: