cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Restructuring

Tech SupGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Kindly go through the current scenario and suggest me the best way to design the network.

Current Scenario:-
From ISP to modem to a Cisco 2900 Router.Then comes a 8 port switch and is then connected to a High Speed Internet Access(HSIA)Gateway.From the HSIA , it is connected Cisco 2900 Switch.It is then distributed to 4 switches via Fibre cable to 4 Cisco 2900 switches.Then around 150+ Access Points are connected to these switches which is responsible for providing internet to the guest.

The guests are unable to reach the internet most of the times and it is also seen that the Access Points (AP) are getting restarted themselves.There is no packet loss while connecting to the Modem directly and trying to ping any website.
The IPs are allocated via DHCP and there is a Access Point Controller for managing the AP .

Kindly suggest me the best solution i can provife in the situation and let know if any further info required.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kindly suggest me the best solution i can provife in the situation and let know if any further info required.

Solution?  I can't even determine what is the objective or the problem.

The users are unable to connect to the internet most of the time and the APs are getting resetted themselves.There are no Vlans configured in the environment.All the 150+ Aps are working in same network . 

The users are unable to connect to the internet most of the time

Wired users or wireless users?

APs are getting resetted themselves

What are the exact model of the APs & switches?

There are no Vlans configured in the environment.

The Wireless users are affected and APs are from IPCOM and the Switch is Cisco 2900.

There isnt any configuration in the network and they have expanded it as and when it was required.I am new to networking domain and this is my work.Kindly let guide me and let me know what are further details will have to be requested.The HSIA Gateway provider has suggested to configure Vlans  in the network .

Switch is Cisco 2900.

You mean a 2900XL-EN or a Procurve 2900-48G?

Switches are 48 port Catalyst 2960-S Series POE+ and the Access points are W30AP(IP-COM).

Switches are 48 port Catalyst 2960-S Series POE+ and the Access points are W30AP(IP-COM).

Ok, so if you're a "tech support guy" what troubleshooting have you performed?

The setup is hotel with an Access Point placed in each room.I have requested ping reports to website from admin and guest networks.

In admin network , it was reporting packet loss while pinging to website while there was no loss while pinging within in the internal network.

In guest domain, there was no packet loss to website , but the users are getting disconneted from internet frequently which creates a great impact.For my little knowledge perspect , I guess the APs are getting when its getting more requests , since there is no Vlan or any configaration and all in the same network.

I would like to have suggestion on providing a stable and uninterpruted network.

Will creating vlan resolve the issue or do i have add/change any of the device in the current environmet.

Post the complete output to the following router commands: 

1.  sh version; and

2.  sh ip interface brief

Label which ports go to the LAN and which ports go to the WAN.  

How big is the WAN link?