cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Switches

fbrown0319
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at replacing my network switches...I currently have all hp and would like to change to Cisco switches...please help me build a business justification as to why replacing HP with Cisco will benefit my organization. I do know that Cisco-proprietary protocols play a major factor in this with managing same products but would like more "beef" to add to it.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

please help me build a business justification as to why replacing HP with Cisco will benefit my organization

Contact your authorized Cisco reseller or your local Cisco office.  They can generate a "business justification". 

FYI:  Cisco product can never "price match" any price from HP.  

Understood...I am doing a lot of vlan segmentation in addition to virtualizing everything and am unable to utilize VTP with my current HP switches...this is one of my issues going forward towards managing the network smartly...Cost is a factor but the efficiency you get with Cisco switches outweighs the cost.

Cost is a factor but the efficiency you get with Cisco switches outweighs the cost.

Cisco has a number of pricing "tiers".  There are SMB switches and there are Catalyst switches.  Each one has their own pricing points.   Depending on the budget for upgrading the network, contacting the Cisco AM/SE early will be beneficial. 

You also need to do your own research.  It will be a useless exercise if you don't know what EXACT model of gear you want to be quoted, HOW the network is going to be set up with this all this equipment.  

When dealing with VM, things can get expensive especially the size/number of physical machines and their link requirements (1 Gbps vs 10- or 40 Gbps).