Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf & dialup

tirmatovt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We have set up our dialup service this way: each access server has it's own address pool for users, this pool is routed to null0 interface and announces through OSPF. But, I would like that some users (very few of them) have fixed ip addresses specified in their radius profiles. Is there a way to configure cisco to announce their addresses as /32 host routes?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The solution that you describe is essentially what I was suggesting. I had not mentioned the need for a distribute list but you are correct that without it OSPF will advertise all of the ppp host routes. I think this is a good solution and have not thought of any solution that would seem better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you considered the possibility of assigning these (few) users addresses in a different subnet than the dial pool addresses and advertising these different addresses?

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? If the addresses in the dial pool are being advertised and are reachable from your internal network, why do you want to advertise a few specific host routes?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

All users obtain their addresses from default pools. I have only a couple of users that should not have dynamic addresses, I want they have some fixed (not belonging to dial pool) addresses because of security considerations.

Now I have solved my problem this way:

Let's say I have public dial pool 192.168.0.x. For static assignments I take addresses from other subnet, 192.168.1.x. I have enabled "redistribute connected subnets" in ospf configuration and "distribute-list 2 out connected" where 2 is number of access list that matches 192.168.1.0/24. Without distribute-list cisco starts to advertise all ppp connections, which is not neccessary.

Is my solution acceptable or there are better ways to do it?

Thanks!

The solution that you describe is essentially what I was suggesting. I had not mentioned the need for a distribute list but you are correct that without it OSPF will advertise all of the ppp host routes. I think this is a good solution and have not thought of any solution that would seem better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: