Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Questions

Hi everyone,

I have few questions about spanning tree protocol. 

My first question is, if it's recommanded to activate spanning tree on all the port of a switch. 

If i'm not wrong, some vendors like HP has loopback detection witch can be apply directly to prevent loop on the switch. So you can mix loopback for edge port and STP for ports link to another switch. 

Is there a similary fonction on Cisco switch ?

My other question is, should i activate STP on all the ports off the switch ? The BPDU sent with spanning tree can cause a high usage of the switch ? 

Is the best practice on spanning tree : Activate STP on all ports, activate portfast on the différent port connecting to endpoint (for prevent problem with DHCP) ? 

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Loopback detection is found in cisco, but not in all SW.

1-Run stp port fast in all port connect to host not other sw

2-Run stp bpdu guard as guard for port you config port fast under it.

View solution in original post

"My first question is, if it's recommanded to activate spanning tree on all the port of a switch."

Sure you should. What you must to do is enable port-fast in access ports.

"If i'm not wrong, some vendors like HP has loopback detection witch can be apply directly to prevent loop on the switch. So you can mix loopback for edge port and STP for ports link to another switch."

Unfortunatelly Vendors has different approaches. But, loopback means Layer 3 protocol which in fact does not rely on STP. If you study about cisco SDA, you  are going to see that Cisco switch on this solution, even access switch, speaks routing protocol (IS-IS) and all layer 2 communition is carried over Layer 3 communication.

"Is there a similary fonction on Cisco switch ?"

Probably not.

"My other question is, should i activate STP on all the ports off the switch ? The BPDU sent with spanning tree can cause a high usage of the switch ?"

Enable port-fast for access.

"Is the best practice on spanning tree : Activate STP on all ports, activate portfast on the différent port connecting to endpoint (for prevent problem with DHCP) ?""

that´s the idea.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Loopback detection is found in cisco, but not in all SW.

1-Run stp port fast in all port connect to host not other sw

2-Run stp bpdu guard as guard for port you config port fast under it.

"My first question is, if it's recommanded to activate spanning tree on all the port of a switch."

Sure you should. What you must to do is enable port-fast in access ports.

"If i'm not wrong, some vendors like HP has loopback detection witch can be apply directly to prevent loop on the switch. So you can mix loopback for edge port and STP for ports link to another switch."

Unfortunatelly Vendors has different approaches. But, loopback means Layer 3 protocol which in fact does not rely on STP. If you study about cisco SDA, you  are going to see that Cisco switch on this solution, even access switch, speaks routing protocol (IS-IS) and all layer 2 communition is carried over Layer 3 communication.

"Is there a similary fonction on Cisco switch ?"

Probably not.

"My other question is, should i activate STP on all the ports off the switch ? The BPDU sent with spanning tree can cause a high usage of the switch ?"

Enable port-fast for access.

"Is the best practice on spanning tree : Activate STP on all ports, activate portfast on the différent port connecting to endpoint (for prevent problem with DHCP) ?""

that´s the idea.

Thank you both for your answers. Cheers

You must activate portfast to allow forwarding state to run

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: