Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with EnergyWise, phones aren't getting into Power Save (Plus) mode

Nachomann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello fellow CISCO community,

I have some problems integrating CISCO EnergyWise into my company. I hope you can help.

We're going to use EnergyWise in the entire company with a primary focus on PoE powered IP phones. Our goal is to reduce power consumption by putting our phones automatically into Power Save (Plus, depending on model) mode during off-hours. We mustn't cut the power wholly, we still need to be able to "wake the phones up" in case of an emergency or when somebody calls.

Our switches are mainly newer Cisco 2960 with PoE features and our phones are Cisco 7911, 7931, 7970, 7975, 8961 and 9971 models.

Here's to the config:

Configuration

Switch(config)#energywise domain sicttest security shared-secret 0 energywise protocol udp port 30000 interface Gi1/0/28

Switch(config)#int range g1/0/40 - 48

Switch(config-if-range)#energywise level 10 recurrence importance 1 at 0 7 * * *

Switch(config-if-range)#energywise level 2 recurrence importance 1 at 0 20 * * *

Switch(config-if-range)#energywise importance 1

Switch(config-if-range)#energywise name SICT-TEST

I've tested EnergyWise using a generic PoE 2960 with Firmware 12.23(58)SE that's connected to our regular network and each of any phone model in our company (see above)

The main problem is, seemingly the power levels have been deployed successfully to each port (using show energywise i clearly see each port has its scheduled power level) as well as the switch recognizes the connected phones, but neither the phone displays turn off nor anything else happens that reduces energy consumption, each phone was still running with full power.

With configured recurring power level 0, the phones turn off like scheduled, but the power is all cut like expected. So the schedule works.

What am I going to do now? Is there something wrong with my configuration?

Thanks for any help!

Greetings from Switzerland (excuse my English =) )

4 Replies 4

Nachomann
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I don't really want to push this thread up, but the problem still exists and we do not know how to solve it.

I hope  you can help. If i gave you not enough information, please tell me.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

7900 doesn't support Power Save.

hey,

thanks for the answer.

that's right, 7900 series don't support Power Save Plus, although Power Save (turning off screen and going into standby) should be supported on these models.

could enabling Energy Wise in our Cisco Works NMS and configuring a global energywise domain get EnergyWise to work? We haven't done it yet, i configured energywise and its domain just on the single 2960 switch itself. Because we're a large company with strict security policy I can't do spontaneous changes on the system at all.

that's right, 7900 series don't support Power Save Plus, although Power Save (turning off screen and going into standby) should be supported on these models.

1.  That's true.  But you don't need EnergyWise for this.  You configure the turning off of the screen in the CUCM.

2.  The amount of power "saved" by this method is a fraction of what happens if the phone goes on power level "1".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco