cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What type of Network Topology is This?

sleepless swan
Level 1
Level 1

I've created this topology as per requirement, but I'm confused as to what type it is. Is it considered a P2P?

10 Replies 10

between OSPF and EIGRP router that connect via ethernet 
since there are two router only and there is NO SW and no other router then
yes config P2P in ethernet for OSPF.

thank you for the reply. My question is regardless of routing protocols, which type of topology (daisy chain/P2P/bus...) can we consider this?

OK what the meaning of color there are many color some shape include two router and some include one router ?

your network is daisy chain  IF there are no interconnect between ISP router 
is there is interconnect so it Hub and Spoke 
Hub is ISP two router and Spoke is OSPF router.

so the intermediate 'red' routers are not spokes too?

If 

There is no interconnect between ISP router and there is interconnect between eigrp red routers then topolgy is star and the center is eigrp two router.

If 

There is interconnect between ISP router and there is no interconnect between eigrp router then it as i mention before hub and spoke and spoke is eigrp router but also 

Daisy chain between ospf and eigrp router.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like a "real world" hodgepodge (laugh), or a (very) partial mesh, assuming sites with two routers per site also have connectivity to each other, or a hub and spoke if we just consider topology of "sites".

In the "real world", actual topologies, like this, aren't all that uncommon, although such a mixture of static (?) and different routing protocol is not as common (well, except when merging different companies).

I.e. in the "real world" actual networks seldom conform to pristine network topology models, the common reason being, for many reasons, we cannot often just interconnect devices as we might like.

Thank you so much for this explanation. I kept scratching my head when we were asked to mention which network design model we're using. The site with two routers indeed has a dedicated link between them. In case the link fails, traffic is sent via ISP.

The requirements state that two of the locations already have their own infrastructure and would not want to change the routing protocols. I initially thought about a hub and spoke approach where the ISP is in the middle, but the requirement is to have redundancy at Bahrain, so if primary link to the ISP is down than backup can be utilized to get the connectivity to Saudi Arabia and Dubai. In this case, would the hodgepodge approach work or do I have to change it?

where is Berlin in topology?
please clear your topology more.

I got your requirement 
config DMVPN with Dual Hub
Hub 1 is primary and Hub 2 is backup 
Hub 2 will be Spoke to Hub1, 
if the other Spoke failed to connect to Hub1 via ISP1
then 
Spoke will connect to Hub2 via ISP2 and Hub2 will redirect traffic to Hub1.

Note:- do this in lab before apply it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco