Views
Helpful
Replies

Opening port range for ip range

argmagedd0n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I have came up with a strange problem recently, maybe someone else experienced a similar problem and was successful in solving it?

I have a LAN with Cisco 1941 as the only router with NAT that connects it to the internet, with a single public IP. There are many gamer users, and they complain that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 sees our network as "strict NAT", while for full gaming experience it needs "open NAT". After a small research I have found out that CoD needs certain port ranges to be forwarded to LAN IPs. Well, I know how to forward a range of ports to a single IP, but how is it possible to forward a port range for all the IPs in the LAN?

1 Reply 1

Richard.H.Sims
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know that's impossible with only one public IP.  A packet would come in and the router would have no idea which IP in a range it needs to be sent to.  You can only forward to one IP inside the NAT.

In home-user land there is uPNP but I don't think it's supported on Cisco branded gear, only their home user Linksys products.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: