Views
Helpful
Replies

Accesing Modem's interface page through RV345

VJrex
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Hi all, I have an RV345 connected to a GPON Fiber Modem.

They are in PPOE mode. The internet works just fine.

The modem’s config page can be accessed by going to the LAN IP address if the modem is directly connected to the PC via Ethernet.

However, behind the router(RV345), this page seems impossible to access.

I tried setting up a Static Route and Policy Based Routing as below but still the site can't be reached.

Modem Admin Page: 192.168.20.10

WAN 1 IP Address(Static Public IP): 103.8.x.x

Policy Based Routing:

Policy.png

Static Routing

Static.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

the destination should be any (not your internal IP address)

try source any - destination any - WAN1

save and commit and test it.

make sure your DNS is correct like 8.8.8.8 to resolve the DNS 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

HI Balaji,

The Destination IP Address I have mentioned is not my IP. It's Modem's configuration Page IP.

If I make the Destination IP as Any, wouldn't that route all traffic through WAN 1 and make WAN 2 as Load Balancer Obsolete?

what is the goal here, I was in the impression your LAN IP address is 192.168.20.0/24 ? you looking to load-balance between WAN1 and  WAN2 ?

BB

Very Straight forward like the title says, “Accesing Modem's interface page through RV345”

I have a fiber modem connected to One of the WAN ports and am trying to access the Modem’s config page. I explained in detail on the original post.

if that is straight setup, what i have suggested still stands correct, until i miss understood the requirement.

ISP Modem (only 1 Linke ) --- WAN1 (RV)--Lan 192.168.20.0/24

for the users to access Lan to Internet below rule should work :

Source: 192.168.20.0/24 Destination: any to WAN1

step by step :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_RaHMlZCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QnxyTFlSoA

BB

Hi Balaji,

thanks for taking the time out trying to help me.

I followed the Youtube videos and they are pretty much standard set up videos which did not help.

Am not doing LAN to Internet

The question is not accessing Internet. That has been set up and working fine. Every Modem has an Admin Page. I am trying to access the admin Page of the Modem which is at 192.168.20.10. Modem is connected to WAN 1 port.

Every Modem has an Admin Page. I am trying to access the admin Page of the Modem which is at 192.168.20.10. Modem is connected to WAN 1 port.

This what i was guessed and asked in the first post, that was missed I guess.

Just for clarity again, you want to access the device from outside? (from internet to manage the device) ?

BB

Nope, I want to access the Modem from internal Network through RV345. Again, Access the Modem Config Page(Internet is not an issue)

I want to access the Modem from internal Network through RV345

You mean ISP Modem Page.

Again, Access the Modem Config Page(Internet is not an issue)

This statement again contradictory, you do not have an issue with the modem page here? not have access,

So look at your issue :

ISP Modem (only 1 Linke ) -what IP address here ?-- WAN1 (RV)--Lan 192.168,XX.0/24

Please clarify :

1. what is the IP address between WAN 1 and ISP Modem?

2. what is Lan's IP address?

3. what what source IP address you trying to access Modem admin Page  192.168.20.10 ?

You can not have LAN IP address and WAN IP address same (until you configuring as bridge, which is not i guess here)

BB

Yes, I mean ISP Modem Config Page.

1. what is the IP address between WAN 1 and ISP Modem?

2. what is Lan's IP address?

Doesn't both mean the same thing? The screenshot below answers your Question? If notm Can you please tell me where to find the LAN's IP?

Statistic.png 

3. what what source IP address you trying to access Modem admin Page  192.168.20.10 ?

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi VJrex

Your deployment is like this below...as per my understanding:

lan(192.168.1.x)---(1.1)[RV345]wan-pppoe----port1[isp-modem](wan-port)----[isp-pppoe-server]----[Internet]

- Here iam assuming that on the fiber-modem, you have other lan-ports (such as port2/port3/port4 usually 4 nos will be provided)

- and iam assuming that the RV345-wan1 port is connected to port1 (which would the lan-port1) of fiber-modem

1. Since your wan is a pppoe connection it only means that on the fiber-modem, the port1-to-wan-port would be "bridged" which would be becos on the fiber-modem, the isp would have configured a bridged-mode and binded "port1 to wan-port" in the bridge

- you maybe already aware, but i will repeat here...any pppoe connection between the pppoe-client (the RV345) and the pppoe-server has to be in the same "data-link/ethernet" layer/connection....

- so, since there is a fiber-modem introduced between the rv345-wan and the remote isp-pppoe-server (which would have assigned you the ipaddr 103.x.x.x and authenticated the rv345 with the pppoe-username/password), there is no direct ethernet link between them...so therefore the isp would have configured the fiber-modem in "bridged-mode" instead of "routed-mode" and binded "port1/wan-port" of fiber-mode into the same bridge.....so that now the ethernet frames generated by the rv345-wan interface (containing the pppoe-connection negotiation info...and later after the connection is UP) reaches the isp-pppoe-server

- so in effect the connection between the rv345 to isp-pppoe-server is 1 single ethernet link due to the bridging applied on the fiber-modem

2. So how does the above make sense to what you are facing...unable to connect to 192.168.20.10 the fiber-modem's lan-ipaddress???

well as far as i understand networking....you cannot access it from your lan-hosts (using the ipaddress 192.168.1.x)....becos now your deployment is logically like below

lan-192.168.1.x----[rv345]103.x.x.x------[fiber-modem-bridged]-------103.x.x.1[isp-pppoe-server]----[internet]

a) So any packets to 192.168.20.x from 192.168.1.x will be nated to the wan-ipadress 103.x.x.x and sent to the default-gw 103.x.x.1 which is the isp-pppoe-server...

- and also becos as mentioned above...the port1 of fiber-modem is bridged to wan-port..and therefore the packets from RV345 are NOT examined at fiber-modem for any routing decisions...they are simply ethernet-frames forwarded between port1-wan-port on the modem...

- so the isp-pppoe-server-router has to decide where 192.168.20.x network is....which is not possible to be routed by the isp-router,,,and hence its dropped there

b) So the solution is not by adding any routes on RV345 as it does not know where 192.168.20.x network is.....and niether will the isp-router know how and where to route to 192.168.20.x network....why and how should both route (given the deployment)?

3. So one and only other solution would be ONLY IF you are not already using your wan2 interface on RV345...and it would be like this below:

Step1: Connect your RV345 wan2 to one of the remaining lan-ports of the fiber-modem (port4 say for example)

Step2: On the RV345, configure wan2 with a ipaddress such as 192.168.20.254/24...and the default-gw as 192.168.20.10 (the fiber-modem lan-ipaddress)

Note: Iam assuming (and generally it is so on RV345), that the nat is enabled by default on wan2

Step-3: Now apply and do a permanent save of the config on rv345

Now from lan-host (with ipaddr 192.168.1.165 and def-gw 192.168.1.1 the lan-ipaddr of rv345) ping to 192.168.20.10....you should succeed now...

If the ping succeeds, then i guess now accessing the fiber-modem web-page 192.168.20.10 also should succeed

Lastly If wan2 is NOT free to use and you are already connected it for some other internet link...then the only other way to access the fiber-modem is to connect your pc directly to the fiber-modem lan-ports and access it..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: