cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router License Save Help.

DreadReaper
Level 1
Level 1

Our company bought some Cisco hardware long ago. This router in question we want to start using again after not being used for almost 10+ years. I want to reflash the os on it with the original c2800nm-ipbase-mz.150-1.M5.bin that it came with and practice running through that re-install and some new configs on it. How can I backup the license for our router?  I have output the current version and license info from it below. Trying to save it to an ftp server locally it fails. I assume re-installing the os will wipe the license then? I currently have no way to back it up. Any ideas or help?

License Info:
router#show license file
License Store: Primary License Storage

router#license save ftp
No license entries in license storage

router#sh v
Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 15.0(1)M5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 23-Feb-11 14:49 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

router uptime is 5 days, 3 hours, 4 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2800nm-ipbase-mz.150-1.M5.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.51) with 514048K/10240K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1519ALXZ
2 FastEthernet interfaces
4 Serial interfaces
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
126976K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

router#show license statistics
Administrative statistics
Install success count: 0
Install failure count: 0
Install duplicate count: 0
Comment add count: 0
Comment delete count: 0
Clear count: 0
Save count: 0
Save cred count: 0

Client statistics
Request success count: 0
Request failure count: 0
Release count: 0
Global Notify count: 0

router#show license status
License Type Supported
permanent Non-expiring node locked license

License Operation Supported
install Install license
clear Clear license
annotate Comment license
save Save license
revoke Revoke license

Device status
Device Credential type: DEVICE
Device Credential Verification: PASS
Rehost Type: HARDWARE

Cisco's official software activation guide only has this to say about the license. 

"License Types - Permanent Licenses - Permanent licenses are perpetual; that is, no usage period is associated with them. Once permanent licenses are installed, they provide all the permissions needed to access features in the software image. All permanent
licenses are node locked and validated by the Cisco licensing infrastructure during software installation. Once a permanent license is installed, you do not need to upgrade for subsequent releases. Cisco manufacturing preinstalls the appropriate permanent license on the ordered device for the purchased feature set. No customer interaction with the software activation processes is required to enable a license on new hardware."

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....we want to start using again after not being used for almost 10+ years. = ?????

I wouldn't consider that a serious business effort , also note : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/qa_c67-631674.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ohhhhh, I see what you did there. You assumed 'using' meant for our business, as in a production environment? ahh.. I can see the honest mistake. 

I wasn't expecting such a quick reply and a snide judgmental stabby one at that. Very well done. You win! haha. And did I mention professional? What your snide exalted response assumes is that 1) That is our only router or 2) It is a router that we are keen to use for our production business environment. or perhaps 3) That it's your place to shame anyone speaking of 'sale eod' equipment here throwing out EOL urls like an entitled jilted prom queen giving out dirty looks. lol. or for some other reason I am unable to derive. It's not for me to say. Regardless of your 'I have too much time on my hands today' trolling snarky attempt to harass or belittle someone on the Cisco community forum....(or perhaps you are in the wrong place and the wrong job. Who knows..) Assume nothing or you know what that makes you.

I have an IT guy I want to give some Cisco hands on experience to. 1) To let him gauge if the path to a CCNE is where we should support him and what he is interested in. and 2) To give him some encouragement and experience what using the glorious ios is like. Sorry, youtube and web courses are just not the same as the real thing. I know. and 4) To keep our CCNA and CCNE's busy working and not training. And, I know this is just me, but I'd rather give him some private time with a Cisco investment we held onto for just this purpose if the need arose some day, than sit an uncertified IT staff member on one of our ASR's.

Now, back to the original issue, if that's ok with you. I'll wait... yes? Alright then..  So as I was saying. These 2811's are a past investment. Our CTO sees an investment that is still quality enough to incorporate into this lad's introduction to the Cisco ios and hardware. Not only to give him a feel for it and get his 'feet wet' but to give him a little history lesson. Anyway, like mom always said, "If you can't say something nice or helpful don't say anything at all." A lesson could be learned there. 

Any further responses of unhelpful nature, snide comebacks, bored trolling, etc.. will be ignored. I am a professional and a busy man with better things to do. Responses having value to the issue of the original post are welcome. Anyway, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning so forgive the TLDR reply everyone.

I'd just like to add that Cisco licensing is extremely confusing. I hold around 8 certifications, am a beta tester, and I feel like I know very little about Cisco licensing. I'm trying to figure out the ISR 4300 series licensing now. They have a 1000 page document about upgrading licensing. It is utterly absurd.