Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV120W QuickVPN and Windows 7

cgeigle11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been battling with my Cisco RV120W router and QuickVPN. Here is some history...

• Running Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Performed a fresh install to factory out-of-box install for Windows
  • Removed Norton
  • Did NOT perform any windows updates
  • Installed QuickVN version 1.2.4.1
  • I have updated the firmware to the latest version (confirmed by cisco)
  • I can connet to the router and have a stable connection
  • I can ping both the router IP and the shared file server IP
  • When I enter the shared file server IP into the search field (e.g. \\192.168.100.199) and press enter, I see a connection to "share", so I click on this and then see "FolderName" of my shared files. I click on this folder and I get a timed out error.
  • When I enter the routers IP address into a browser (IE8 as factory installed) I get a timed out error also.
  • In the past, I have installed all important and recommended updates for Windows and still get the same scenerio
  • I have called cisco support and went through router settings, assigned them a VPN username, they log in and can access the files without issue (What the @#$$@#$)
  • Cisco support spent plenty of time with me, but since they could access my network and since I could ping my devices, they had no other suggestions and could help no further.

So, this leads me to today. I have this fresh factor out-of-box install. I know this is most likely something to do with my laptop that I am trying to use to connect to the network. I have Frontier as my ISP for home. I don't know if there is anything they are doing to interfere with my connection. I have tried to connect to the network via ComCast as well, with no luck.

Can someone, anyone, tell me if there is something I need to tweak in my Windows 7 settings? Or, is there an issue with my router, or ANYTHING I can do to get this working!?!

I cannot be the only person with this issue.... So, if anyone is brighter than I am, please send me your suggestions. Thanks!

11 Replies 11

cgeigle11
Level 1
Level 1

Really? Nothing?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I am sorry you have had these issues. What was the case number where you worked with Cisco Support. I would like to pull your case and look at it and see if I see anything that might have been missed.

Thanks
Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
SBSC WIreless and Surveillance SME
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

I think the case number is:

I didn't write it down and only received a "Take this survey" email with this number attached.

Thanks for looking into this.

Chris

I pulled the case that you mentioned and read over the notes. I have gone over the notes of the case. Since the agent can get to your files from here and the issue is like you were saying most likely a setting with your laptop, this will be hard for us to address. we are limited with how much we can do within a customers PC as far as configuration changes go. I will keep looking to see if I can find something for you to try.

Eric Moyers

I understand that there are many variables that could come into play, but as this is a fresh windows install with NO updates and nothing else that I can possibly think of causing the problem, I was hoping you could shed some light on the matter.

Can you tell me what exactly is required in order to access the LAN network via the VPN?

Why can't I pull up the web portal OR the shared device? It just doesn't make any sense....

Frustration...................................................................

Christopher,

Have you tried bringing the laptop to the same location as the shared files and see if you have access to them locally over the LAN? This is certainly an unusual situation and I cannot think of any reason that the connection would time out when attempting to access the shares.

Update:

I did another fresh restore to factor defaults. Updated. Did not install any software other than Quick VPN. I was able to connect and browse the shared folders. YES!

Then today, without changing ANYTHING, I can't connect.

Is it possible for the router VPN user accounts to be corrupted? WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?

Hi Christopher,

I have seen a few rare instances where the user accounts in the router have become "corrupt". This usually seems to be related to breaking the VPN connection without disconnecting from the QuickVPN client software. (Shutting down the PC while QuickVPN is connected, disconnecting the client from the router GUI, etc.)

Try deleting all user accounts in the router and then create a new one such as "ciscotest". If you can connect to the new account that might suggest something is happening on the router side.

Chris,

Please let us know if you have been able to get the QuickVPN working or if you still need any assistance.

Christopher,

Please specific the LAN address for the network you’re remote from and the network you’re remote too. Generally when everything is working and all of a sudden everything stops, something has changed within your local network or on your ISP side. Were any changes made to your local network? Were any devices added? If nothing has changed or added then I take your computer off location and remote into RV120W to verify it’s not PC related rather ISP could have made changes that is effecting your connection.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

cefalany
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 32 bit Win XP laptop and a 64 bit Win 7 laptop sitting side by side.  Both are connected to a WAP that in turn connects by 3G to a RVS4000.  Win XP worked with with QVPN first time, everytime.  Win7 hasn't worked yet.

Did you ever get Win 7 to work?  It is no longer cost effective to try to fix it myself and I was hoping someone would find the 'silver bullet' and share it.   If you have one, please let me know.

Thanks