cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller plus access points

peekachu76
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2504 Controller and 3 Aironet 1850's.  I went through the express install on the controller but now need to setup the access points.  I've done a lot of reading and have a few questions.

- It says "You must configure a separate DHCP pool for each access point type".  It says "access point type"  does this mean it's okay for me to setup just 1 pool and it will be okay to be used by all 3 access points or do I need to setup a separate pool for each access point (they are all the same type)?

- I'm setting up each access point in the controller and is no way to get into the access point itself?  I'm asking this because what if I didn't have a controller and only had the 3 access points wouldn't I have to configure each?  My access points didn't come with any documentation so I've been out on the web reading all that I could about them and of the documentation I've read I could not find any that tell me how to get into the access point itself to configure.

Which leads me to my next question...

- I cannot see my access points in the controller.  I read "Cisco recommends that you disable Cisco Discovery Protocol on the controller and access point when connected to non-Cisco switches as CDP is unsupported on non-Cisco switches and network elements".  I am using a Netgear unmanaged switch does this mean that my access points will not auto discover and if not is there a way for me to add each one to the AP section of the controller software manually?

- I cannot get into the Access Point via wireless.  The documentation says, "Connect the Wi-Fi-enabled laptop to the CiscoAirProvision SSID advertised by the AP, using Wi-Fi. The password is password".  I don't see any wireless being broadcasted by the SSID CiscoAirProvision.

1 Reply 1

peekachu76
Level 1
Level 1

Also I just want to add that I cannot configure the Access Point because it isn't broadcasting an ssid.