Views
Helpful
Replies

Locked out 192.168.1.1

rpm_rob123
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

very frustrating situation. I am not on site, but have a receptionist basically breaking down on site.

I am dealing with an IT 'person'(being nice) leaving an office in a lurch...a very nasty short tempered person who comes and goes as he pleases.

anyways,

Our router is locked out. It is a wrv210.

I've tried to get in through 192.168.1.1 both wireless and a direct connection, to no avail. all to just, change the user name/password to get this guy out of there.

The owner is furious--he wants all the information, but we can't get a hard copy.

The 'person' says it works, he can access remotely anytime he feels like it! Plain and simple the 'person' will not give up any information.

I tried the reset, unplug---but nothing.

Did he change the ip?

---any ideas? If I use a direct connection from a laptop into the router and do an ipconfig /all the default gateway should be the router, right?

as I said, it's a very simple--but frustrating situation.

rob

6 Replies 6

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting. To reset the router, hold the reset button with a pen or paperclip for 30 seconds with the device powered on. I recommend that you unplug the modem to avoid the "person" logging in an changing the password, etc. before you are able to. After you have logged in using admin/admin at 192.168.1.1, change the password and disable Remote Management immediately.

does the 30second reset knock out all the ip/internet settings on the router?

we do not know what the setup was that our 'person' put in...

to input everything may mean an extended down time...

any response would be great. thanks again, it is appreciated.

rob

Rob,

Yes 30 second reset will completely factory reset your unit. All pervious settings will be erased.

Jasbryan

thanks for the replies...

Ok, owner does not care if I got in or not, he's ready to 'start over'....

so I have a replacement router...

one question...

I have the static IP from the provider

on subnet do I just fill in 255.255.255.___ anything between 0-255?

and

on primary dns 10.0.1.___ not sure what to put on primary dns

once again thanks, the help has been right on point.

rob

Hi Rob,

Oh boy.

If the SP has given the owner of the company  a static IP address , mask, gateway and DNS, you really need that information from the owner or their service provider.  The owner should have received that information from their SP, as he is paying the monthly charge for that resource.

They should / must be able to give that information to you, or you will be forrced to either ring their service provider, or ask the site owner to call the SP for those details.  For security reasons, the SP may only give that information to the irrate site owner of the IP address. (hopefully he's cooled down a bit)

They really should be organized to also help you, shame they are putting you through some tough times.

regards Dave

Can you use your router completely correctly and efficiently? Ordinary internet users have probably encountered 192.168.1.1. In this article we will explain what 192.168.l.l is.