cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor upload performance on RV345

EvanC75
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have had a RV345 deployed for a few months.  I have worked directly with Cisco tech support.  I have AT&T fiber gigabit internet so 1000 up and down and 5 static IPs.  With the RV345 at speedtest,net, I can achieve around 800 Mbps download but only 350 Mbps upload.  The router has been reset and is in default state running the latest firmware.

None of the security features are enabled other than what is enabled by default.  I consistently have poor upload speed.  I have another router (Ubiquiti) that is able to achieve 900 Mbps upload so it is not my connection.  My workstation is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 with latest updates.  My network cards are integrated Intel I210 and I217-LM, both have latest drivers.  I tried a separate Intel X540 card but it made no difference.

Are there any router tweaks I can look at that may help with upload speed?  This router is rated for 980 Mbps up and down  with UTM enabled so I cannot figure out why I cannot achieve that.

Regards.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

EvanC75
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.  It was a long recovery.  Anyway, after working with TAC, I found that a new firmware was released back in April - 1.0.03.21.  After I installed that and rebooted the router, the upload speed was restored.  So now I am getting on average 850 down and 800 up which is satisfactory.  I have closed the case with TAC.

Regards.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be honest for that Price RV345 you getting better performance, I seen some posts here users not even getting what you getting.

here is the performance of the RV series what cisco posted.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/products/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/models-comparison.html

If Cisco SMB TAC not able to address, not that community can help anything better - rather sharing user experience,

just a question why you need more than 350MB uploads, that requirement go beyond Small business router capability.?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Wow seriously?  I wonder why the others are not achieving those speeds either.  It sounds like I am expecting too much then which is unfortunate because that means the throughput specs are incorrect.  The comparison link you provided shows the RV345 having a NAT throughput of 900 Mbps.

The Cisco TAC I worked with said he had a RV325 that achieved 930 Mbps up/down on speed test so the RV345 should be able to at least match that.  We tried multiple firmwares.

And to answer your question on why I need more than 350 Mbps, it is for offsite VM backups in Cloud.  These VMs span dozens of gigabytes.  Plus, I am paying for the speed and not being able to fully use it.

Regards.

I am sure my reply may disappoint (i am not a great user of RV series, i go with technical details)

the document says 900MB NAt Throughput, it does not say that it is UP or Down, so that confuses some time cisco documentation, there is no real performance test user who posted they really got 900MB uplink,.

The Cisco TAC I worked with said he had a RV325 that achieved 930 Mbps up/down on speed test so the RV345 should be able to at least match that.  We tried multiple firmwares.

when you worked with TAC outcome, it will be nice for other users your input, they can buy the right product keeping your experience as a base when they have similar expectations.  - So you running the latest firmware still the same issue?  have tweaked any MTU / MSS ( not sure TAC might have tried,) they are SME for the product - depends on what TAC engineer you work with also differs come time.

And to answer your question on why I need more than 350 Mbps, it is for offsite VM backups in Cloud.  These VMs span dozens of gigabytes.  Plus, I am paying for the speed and not being able to fully use it.

Make sense, your requirement is genuine, -  is this VPN or just Public Internet.

BB

@EvanC75 

Have you tested with the speedtest (https://www.speedtest.net) from your workstation directly connected to the RV's LAN port? You can send on PM the case number so we can have a look at the case progress and what steps have been issued. Were you requested to make a Packet Capture on the WAN port?

Regards,

Martin

@Martin Aleksandrov cheers for looking, once you get to the bottom of the problem, if you can share your views and solution it will be very helpful for the community, I have observed some of the users having the same issue around.

BB

Hi balaji,

Indeed we do have similar cases in our database but they are mostly related to the VPN client speed slowness and few with the Internet speed degradation. We should take care of those since we currently have the beta firmware for similar slow internet speeds upload/download but with Antivirus and web filtering enabled. 

Regards,

Martin

Yes we tried direct connect to the router.  Made no difference.  Yes, we used speedtest.net for all the tests.  I think the TAC did a packet cap since we were on a webex session and phone call.

I'll send a PM with case number.  Also, sorry in advance, I'm going to be unavailable for the next few weeks due to medical reasons, so we can resume afterwards.

Regards.

I don't think we messed with MSS but my optimal MTU is 1500 with the fiber.  I did the ping -f 1472 to be sure that was the highest non-fragmented packet and that +28 we got the 1500.

Currently I am on the beta firmware 1.0.03.2011 that addressed the AV poor performance issue which was the original call for TAC, then we found the upload issue.  I worked with them for a few hours trying different configurations and even changing ports, cables and even direct connect to router.  I am not using VPN so this is just typical internet.

Also, sorry in advance, I'm going to be unavailable for the next few weeks due to medical reasons, so we can resume afterwards.

Regards.

EvanC75
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.  It was a long recovery.  Anyway, after working with TAC, I found that a new firmware was released back in April - 1.0.03.21.  After I installed that and rebooted the router, the upload speed was restored.  So now I am getting on average 850 down and 800 up which is satisfactory.  I have closed the case with TAC.

Regards.