cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Client setup

geoffrey5239
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble setting up a Cisco RV042 router which I want to use because of its dual WAN feature to replace a DLink-615.

I use the router to connect from Israel to a VPN provider in the UK.

The settings that presently work on the Dlink that I need to replicate for the RV042 are as follows:

Connection Type - PPTP with Dynamic IP

Obtain DNS server address automatically

Username,Password and VPN server address

Encryption MPPE 128 bit

Authentification algorithm – MS-CHAP-V2

The RV042 has firmware V4.2.2.08 and the settings I have used so far are as follows:

WAN1 connection type  PPTP

WAN IP address to the UK VPN server address .

I have left the subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0 and the default Gateway Address as 0.0.0.0

My VPN username and password

The DHCP setup is set to enable DHCP Server

I set the DNS Server (required) 1: to 8.8.8.8 and leave everything else blank

This does not connect

Is it possible to setup the RV042 to work in the way the Dlink-615 works?

20 Replies 20

Samir

The reason for wanting a dual WAN replacement was because my vpn server times out every 8 hours but allows two connections to be active.  I was therefore going to use both connections starting 4 hours apart.

I got the RV042 from eBay and you may be interested to see the listing to understand why I was mislead into thinking that the RV042 was suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BrandNew-Cisco-RV042-4-Port-VPN-Firewall-Dual-WAN-Router-PPTP-IPsec-/261361448308?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Geoffrey

Yes, I can see why this was misleading.   Unfortunately, the rv042 is only good for incoming pptp vpn sessions, not outgoing.

One thing you could do is get a second Internet connection with another dlink and then put the rv042 behind both of those to balance the bandwidth.  If the dlinks have a way of auto-connecting, this will solve any problems of dropped sessions except in the case of https logins.

This is one of the reasons I always download a product's owners manual and read it to make sure it will do what I need.  I've saved myself from buying a lot of useless gear over the years.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Sarnir

The problem with using the DLink  - and another reason for wanting to replace the DLink 615K2-  is that despite months of complaining about the firmware of the DLink they have still not been able to get PPTP Keep Alive to work.

Regarding the product manual - I did download and read this but the way the manual is presented conceals the special features (limitations) of the RV042.

Geoffrey

Bummer.   Is there a command-line interface for the dlink where you could set up a script to automatically disconnect and reconnect the pptp?

If the dlink will automatically re-establish a connection upon reboot, and reboots fairly quickly, maybe a reboot script or external rebooter might be the solution?

Samir

This thread has got a bit tangled with the introduction of the new format - but if you recall I had to give up on the RV042 (I got a refund).  I have still not found a reliable replacement for the DLink - even an Asus RT-N16 with and without Asus, Tomato or Merlin firmware will not give a reliable PPTP connection.  I am thinking that I need a L2TP/IPsec connection to get reliability.  Can you please suggest routers that can act as L2TP/IPsec remote clients with the appropriate encryption and pre shared key.

Samir

This thread has got a bit tangled with the introduction of the new format - but if you recall I had to give up on the RV042 (I got a refund).  I have still not found a reliable replacement for the DLink - even an Asus RT-N16 with and without Asus, Tomato or Merlin firmware will not give a reliable PPTP connection.  I am thinking that I need a L2TP/IPsec connection to get reliability.  Can you please suggest routers that can act as L2TP/IPsec remote clients with the appropriate encryption and pre shared key.