cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Dual-WAN bandwidth question

Ray Tracy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new RV042. The primary WAN port is connected to a Telus 25 Mbit service which is working properly. I want to maximize the amount of speed available to the clients, and noted that the default settings for upstream and downstream is set to 512 Kbit. Unfortunately I'm a little unsure of what my optimal settings for this parameter should be, and what the ramifications for the second MUCH SLOWER WAN2 might be.

I am using load balancing, because the second WAN is a radio link. If anything were to happen to the fast Telus WAN1 signal, I don't want SmartLink to suddenly start trying to grab bandwidth from the crappy radio and overwhelm the system.

Thanks,

Ray

1 Reply 1

blwright
Level 1
Level 1

Ray,

the upstream and downstream settings are there to allow you to optimize your bandwidth settings. You will need to consult with your ISP to determine their preferred settings and make the adjustment if required. If you run a speed test what speeds are you getting. If it is at or close to what you are paying for I would suggest leaving the settings as is. Hope this helps.

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: