cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Remote management problem

rafael625
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new RV042 that I'm trying to connect remotely and it won't respond.

Here is what I did a couple of times:

1. SW reset

2. Firmware upgrade (v4.0.4.02-tm (Jul  4 2011 13:30:56)

3. PPoE setup - valid WAN ip Address

4. Dual WAN - Smart LINK WAN1 (ppoe)

5. Firewall: Firewall - Enable / HTTPs: Enable / remote port: 8080 / remote management: enable

6. Restart router

From a network computer inside the network, when I type the https://EXTERNAL_IP:8080, it connects. Then, through a remote desktop computer i do the same and it DOES NOT connect

I even tried with my 3g i pad, through WIFI it connects, but through 3g it won't connect.

I tried to disable the FIREWALL and still not connecting.

Thinking that it could be a problem with my dsl modem, I did setup a PORT FORWARD NAT to my RDC desktop connected to the 3rd ethernet port and it DID connect from a friend's house. So, it means that the EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS and DSL modem are all right.

here are my screens.

Any solution ??

11 Replies 11

rafael625
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot about something, between step 3 / 4, did change the admin password.

Hi,

I notice that you have changed the https port. Have you try to let 443?

I use very often these routers and i have no problem with remote management. You just have to enable it in the firewall page and that's works.

You talk about NAT in your modem, your modem isn't in bridge mode?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Julien Paleni,

I tried 3 different ports: 80,8080 and 443.

Changed all of them and restarted. Problem persists.

I have two connections:

WAN1: PPOE - Valid ip Address - dyndns registered.

WAN2: DHCP - invalid Address - DMZ published from other DSL MODEM - dyndns registered.

When I connect to the Windows Remote desktop, the RV042 forwards port 3389 to my desktop fine. Both dsl modems does not have any active firewall.

Another thing...

at WAN 2, i have the ip adress (10.1.1.2 - gw:10.1.1.1 - m:255.255.255.240), and when i plug my laptop the same switch as the RV is connect, I open a browser window and hit: http://10.1.1.2:443 and it connects to the RV!!!!

but when I'm behind the modem (WAN - internet), it does not connects even through the WAN1 and WAN2.

I don't know, it seems that it blocks valid ip addresses. Like a black list / white list connect from...(access control mode).

thx in advance for your attention

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

You probably need to call the Cisco Small Business Support Center and let us open up a case for you

regarding this issue.  The number for US is 1-866-606-1866.  Remote Management usually works by just

enabling it just like Julien pointed out.

Julien,

You can down grade back to v4.0.3.03-tm and see if the problem still persists to verify its not a firmware issue. Did it work before you upgraded to latest firmware? Give us a call and we can take a look at your configuration on RV0xx

@ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case

thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Jasbryan,

I didn't try back at 4.03, and honestly I'm a bit scary to downgrade / upgrade. I'd already brick a RV back last year.

Thx

Hi,

Jasbryan, it's not me who have the problem, it's Rafael

I test on a Rv082 with the firmware v4.0.4.02 and the remote management works fine.

Rafael, can you try to reset your router and reconfigure it?

You can also use "client to gateway" vpn in order to manage remotely your router.

Hope that helps

Rafael,

You can always give us a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case. This way we can start documenting our trouble shooting steps , while trying to find out why remote isn't working for you.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

Jasbryan,

Thanks in advance for yout attention.

I opened a CALL at my local ISP, and they finally could solve the problem with my modem. Besides it had DMZ activated, was blocking some WAN requests. After trying some different (and unlikely) ports like 8081, 1082, 6080, 444, finally figured it out.

Thx, again, problem SOLVED !

Rafael,

Thanks for the repost, Glad you were able to get it resolved.

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: