cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G and VOIP

nabe00001
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV042G in a simple setup.  WAN1 is Cable and WAN2 is DSL.  The Cable is 200 down and 10 up, DSL is 25 down and 10 up.

We are a financial services company so we have lots of services that require constant up-time and disruptions in those services seems to cause a lot of problems (for example if I'm using smart-link failover and WAN1 is primary and it goes down, even if WAN2 does correctly pick up those services may not restart properly).  WAN2 is more reliable, but WAN1 is faster.  We have been using WAN2 as the primary and WAN1 as the backup, however do to expansion WAN2 is no longer sufficient for our needs and we are experiencing some call quality issues on our VOIP lines.

My question is this:

Is it possible to setup the RV042G to load-balancing mode but have only certain types of traffic on WAN1 and other types on WAN2?  For example, all VOIP on WAN1 all quotes (like Bloomberg, Thomson One, etc) on WAN2 (provided I know the ports that those services use)?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Nick,

This is certainly possible and is quite common. When you enable Load Balance you will see an option called Protocol Binding. Select the service (or create a custom service) and bind it to whichever WAN is suitable. If that WAN connection fails, all traffic will revert to the other WAN port until the original WAN port is back up.

Please reply if you have any questions.

- Marty

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Nick,

This is certainly possible and is quite common. When you enable Load Balance you will see an option called Protocol Binding. Select the service (or create a custom service) and bind it to whichever WAN is suitable. If that WAN connection fails, all traffic will revert to the other WAN port until the original WAN port is back up.

Please reply if you have any questions.

- Marty

Thanks very much.  The problem I have is that it's critical the services have 100% uptime when they are up, but it's hard to test them when they aren't up.

So my followup question is: for the service that says "ALL TRAFFIC" or similar, can I set that to say WAN2 and then set some services (say 80,8080, and my voip services) to WAN1?  Or will the ALL TRAFFIC override the specific instructions?

Thanks again for the help.

Nick,

All traffic will override specific instructions. You would have to create several services with port ranges that work around 80 and 8080 to force all other traffic to use WAN 2.

- Marty

Thanks for the help, it would be much easier if that added that feature going forward though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: