cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G - PPPoE and DMZ Range

sp1152211811
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anybody at Cisco that could escalate a change in the firmware with engineering?  I have called, emailed, posted on this forum, etc., about this and have been told it would be sent to engineering and I have never heard anything further.

The issue is:  I have a DSL business account that connects using PPPoE.  I have a /29 IP block that is routed through that connection.  When I set WAN 1 to PPPoE, I can't set a range in DMZ.  It REQUIRES a Static IP on WAN 1.  If I set the DMZ range and then change the WAN 1 back to PPPoE, it will connect and it does work, however I can't trust it since there is a check in the firmware.  I would be willing to beta test this if I could get someone to assist in getting the change made to the firmware.

I think this would be a simple change to a router than could be a big deal.  There are tons of small businesses that are going this route and there aren't a lot of routers that will accommodate this without spending a ton of money. 

ANY help would be appreciated!!

5 Replies 5

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Leonard,

Can you please call the support center again and get a case opened for your request.  The support center contact information is located here: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Thanks Cindy for your response.  However, since I have CALLED the support center and opened a case, had email correspondence with a support engineer, (he even swapped my RV180 for this RV042G and told me it would work), and posted several times on this forum, I think I will forego calling them again and switch to another company.  I am tired of the frustration. 

I made one last effort to get the RV042G to work with my configuration last night.  I setup WAN 1 with my PPPoE static account, set WAN 2 as a DMZ and entered a single public IP.  It worked for about an hour and then died.  I reset to factory defaults and tried it again putting in a range in the DMZ (the other 5 public IP's) and tricked it into working about 20 minutes before it dropped the connection.

The sad thing is - I'm a techology aficionado and easily enamored by these types of products, but after 9 months of dealing with Cisco and equipment that I have to pamper to get it to work, I think I will move on.

Hi Leonard,

Do you happen to have the case number with you so that I can escalate?  I want to make sure that we have done all that we can to help you.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Cindy - Thanks for you continued interest in helping me solve this.  It seems to be a relatively simple change to make. Not requiring that WAN 1 have a Static IP when the DMZ is set to an IP range, would solve the issue.  PPPoE static accounts will route multiple public IPs through a WAN connection so it isn't necessary to always have a Static IP type .  I know you are attempting to simplify the interface for novices, but there needs to be an expert mode that allows people who know what they are doing to not be frustrated.

Sadly, I have a list of ticket numbers and I am not sure which one was for this issue.  It should be under my username sp1152211811 and it would be the last one.  The call was made 3-4 months ago and the tech indicated he would escalate. I also emailed a support engineer - who had sent me the RV042G and told me it would work - and explained the issue.  He told me to call and put a ticket in which I did.  I should have written down the badge number of the tech.  He acted like he thought it was a great idea and the RV042G should have worked that way to start with.

Last night I switched to a TP-Link router, however I am open to going back to the RV042G if this issue could be resolved.

Thank you Leonard.  I will have an escalation engineer do some research on your cases.

Regards,
Cindy Toy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: