cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rv180w VPN question

Balma1969
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a vpn between my rv180w and a windows 8.1 PC: I've enabled the PPTP server, set a starting and ending IP adresses on the same range of my internal LAN and created a username.

On the win8 I can connect correctly with a pptp VPN connection networks. It works! 
I obtain an IP of my internal network, with a subnet mask 255.255.255.255 so I cannot contact my internal servers.

How can I have a vpn connection with an IP of my internal subnet? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rubelope
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mauro,

Thanks for using the Cisco Small Business Support Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your VPN, and I hope that we can help you find a solution.

PPTP VPNs always assign a 255.255.255.255 (single-host) subnet mask, meaning VPN clients are always on their own subnet.  PPTP isn't a true layer-2 protocol connection in which clients are bridged to the other LAN.

If you'd like to contact multiple servers on the LAN, I recommend using an IPSec VPN.

Below I have posted some links to a few articles that may be helpful in configuring a VPN with an RV180.

Basic VPN Setup on RV180 and RV180W

View VPN Client Connection Status on RV180 and RV180W

If this post solves your issue, please remember to mark your question as resolved and rate any helpful posts to help other members in the community! Thanks!

all the best,

Ruben

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

rubelope
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mauro,

Thanks for using the Cisco Small Business Support Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your VPN, and I hope that we can help you find a solution.

PPTP VPNs always assign a 255.255.255.255 (single-host) subnet mask, meaning VPN clients are always on their own subnet.  PPTP isn't a true layer-2 protocol connection in which clients are bridged to the other LAN.

If you'd like to contact multiple servers on the LAN, I recommend using an IPSec VPN.

Below I have posted some links to a few articles that may be helpful in configuring a VPN with an RV180.

Basic VPN Setup on RV180 and RV180W

View VPN Client Connection Status on RV180 and RV180W

If this post solves your issue, please remember to mark your question as resolved and rate any helpful posts to help other members in the community! Thanks!

all the best,

Ruben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: