cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rv260w - PPPoE Static IP Configuration

JThomas206
Level 1
Level 1

I have gig fiber with a single static IP through Centurylink.  I want to ditch the rental model and go directly from the ONT into my rv260w.  The clink modem is in gateway mode and my PPPoE creds are delivered from the rv260 and everything works as expected.  When I connect the rv directly to the ONT and I add the Centurylink vlan of 201 everything works as expected.  However, as soon as I reboot the rv260, I am not able to re-establish the connection.  I have tried multiple different configurations and I believe I've isolated the issue to the static WAN IP assignment.  The rv260w PPPoE configuration screen assumes the upstream provider will assign the IP and there is no option to set the IP manually.  I believe clink is expecting the IP to be known by the modem and it's not pushing the IP as part of the DHCP settings.

Is there any way to explicitly assign the WAN IP when using PPPoE?  Are there any hacks to set it in the config xml directly?  Has anyone been able to successfully bypass the centurylink modem with an rv260 and PPPoE? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find useful hints in this article :

https://kmwoley.com/blog/bypassing-needless-centurylink-wireless-router-on-gigabit-fiber/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for the response Marce.  The netgear router from that walk through allows you to define a static IP within the PPPoE configuration.  The rv260w router assumes a dynamic IP is provided by the ISP.  There is no option for setting a static IP in PPPoE configuration.  I think this is a miss in the config software.  It would be good to know if it might be possible to add it to a future firmware update.

Screen grab from netgear is attached.

NetgearConfigLink2.png

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Thomas

>>>The clink modem is in gateway mode and my PPPoE creds are delivered from the rv260 and everything works as expected.  When I >>>connect the rv directly to the ONT and I add the Centurylink vlan of 201 everything works as expected.

- where and how did you add this vlan-201?..

- iam thinking you must have created a sub-interface with vlan-id 201 and connected to the century-link and also configured a static-ipaddress provided by the isp

- so in the working conifig state, there is no pppoe at all on the RV260...right?...

What was the config applied on the wan of RV260 when you said it was working till it was rebooted...

Iam asking these questions so as to conclude some solution that i have in mind...there is a reason for asking the above queries...can you please provide the info?