cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Tunnel Remote Office getting Local Office Subnet

jgplusllc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VPN tunnel setup (Local - RV042 - 192.168.2) to (Remote - RV325 - 192.168.3). Computers in remote office are getting the local subnet even though I have DHCP setup on remote router. Initially setup a couple years ago it was working fine, another tech took over, now not. I was asked to take a look, but I haven't figured it out yet. If anyone knows what to change, I'd greatly appreciate.

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have yougotthe ip helper address right on the remote site?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

fmarshall
Level 1
Level 1

It rather sounds like DHCP traffic is traversing the tunnel and it had not been doing that before.

I'd be looking at what type traffic is allowed and what type traffic is not allowed in the VPN / Gateway To Gateway Page with Advanced expanded.  It seems to me this would be the most likely place in settings to cause such a thing.  Perhaps Remote Backup IP Address?  I've not had the same environment to have used this or seen this.  

Thank you for the response, but the only selections on the Advanced is Aggressive Mode, NetBIOS Broadcast, Dead Peer Detection.

Some companies call this "DHCP Relay over VPN".  The RV042 has a setting in DHCP Setup "DHCP Relay".  I would think you'd want that UNCHECKED unless there's a separate good reason for it:

"DHCP Relay (IPv4 only): If you have another DHCP server, enable DHCP Relay to allow this router to communicate the clients’ DHCP requests to the DHCP server. The DHCP Relay mechanism allows the DHCP clients and the DHCP server to be located on different networks. The DHCP clients will send DHCP discover broadcast packets to get IP addresses from the DHCP server. This router will act as DHCP Relay agent and send DHCP unicasts to DHCP server."

Is the RV042 also the local site gateway or does it have another unique public IP address?

RV042 does have DHCP Relay unchecked. Both have unique static IP addresses.

Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: