cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router / modem to connect two LANs to the same Broadband?

barryd
Level 1
Level 1

Currently the charity I work with has an office network and a guest come training suite, youth club network.  They have two separate 24 port unmanaged switches in the same cabinet and each is connected to its own dedicated router and broadband line.

To save costs on two line and broadband rentals we are hoping to upgrade one to fibre and lose the other one but I still want two separate networks.  The office network needs to be kept securely away from the other network.

Can this be done with a router? Its not an area I am too well clued up on.  I need a product that doesnt require rocket scientist network engineer capabilities as I dont have them! :-)

I am after as simple a solution as possible.  It doesnt have to be MI5 secure and of course costs as always with a charity is important but that said the savings long term will hopefully balance that out.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

santsha3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Support Forum.

You could fulfill your requirement using one router and one managed switch. You could separate these two networks you mentioned, by introducing VLANs on the router or the managed switch. 

To stop these networks to communicate to each other , configure ACL for these VLANS on the Router or the switch.

Feel free to contact us if you face any issue configuring VLANs and ACL.

Thanks.  There are currently two unmanged 24 port switches.  Is there a way this can be done without changing the switches and just using a business class router? if so which one and is it something I Can do myself with limited knowledge?

Thank you for writing to us.

You could go for any Small Business Router. 

> Create two VLANs on the router to separate the networks as I mentioned earlier.

Feel free to contact us if you face any difficulties configuring the same.