Views
Helpful
Replies

1921 routers and wic card compatibility

Shemi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am new to using physical equipment and have 3x1921 routers in my homelab. I am trying to set them up as per my rough network topology below. 

I mistakenly bought some HWIC-2SHDSL thinking I could connect the routers together with them. I have realised that I need something different. I am looking at the WiC-2t cards and I think the documentation suggests they should be compatible with my router. Can anyone confirm this before I end up wasting more money?

If these won't fit, or if there is a better alternative, I would be really grateful for some advice. There are so many options I'm getting a bit lost!

PXL_20221216_192617055~2.jpg

2 Replies 2

Shemi
Level 1
Level 1

After some digging, I'm wondering if the solution might be to have 2 X hwic f1e cards and on hwic 2fe for the middle router. Any idea if this will work?

It might.  You would need to confirm your ehwic/hwic/wic module is actually supported in your 1921, and, BTW, often modules need a minimum IOS version (and sometimes a particular IOS feature set and/or feature license).

Since the 1921 already has two gig ports, assuming they support .Q subinterfaces, and assuming you have a switch that also supports .Q, even one such router port could support multiple logical interfaces.  In fact, such a switch, could take the place of the three switches in your diagram (and only need a single router port) to logically support what your diagram shows.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card