cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Connect Retry Timer

Ariyarathna
Level 1
Level 1

I am tiring to emulate following scenario in EVE-NG but still no success.

"If an error causes BGP to go back to the Idle state for a second time, the ConnectRetryTimer is set to 60 seconds and must decrement to zero before the connection is initiated again. Further failures to leave the Idle state result in the ConnectRetryTimer doubling in length from the previous time"

Please help me to understand a scenario where above rule is applied .I tried several scenarios in EVE-NG still not success.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Manoj

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Ariyarathna ,

you can try using an eBGP between loopbacks without using the neighbor ebgp-multhop command this should lead to a BGP session that can never become established.

In any case the sense of the timer is that once the BGP neighbor state is IDLE this timer will be used to schedule the next attempt to connect to the neighbor . If next attempt fails the timer is doubled ad becomes 120 seconds and so on.

The idea is to save resources in new session connection attempts.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

rmanedi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Giuseppe,

Without eBGP multihop over loopbacks, the connection itself does not get formed, wouldn't that be the case leading to connect and active states? It is not an error leading to Idle state right. The statement says , If an error causes BGP to go back to the Idle state for a second time,  So, eBGP with multihop is not an error right?

01fig02.jpg
config two peer 
and they must in open status, 
config keep alive between two peer 
then shut the link between the two peer (note use loopback as the update source )
this force the one peer to return to idle because it not receive hello form other router
here you can check the timer. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card