Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP

kidNetwork
Level 1
Level 1
  • Hi Guys, 

Recently I have been talking about DHCP with my mentor and he asked me which parameters does the DHCP protocol provide to the client which is requesting an IP .

So I said to him that DHCP gives the client an IP and the Subnet Mask ...

He said that the answer is incomplete and there are still informations that the DHCP server gives to the client .

So can you guys help me and tell me which are all the information shared by the DHCP Server?

Thanks for help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Screenshot (30).png
the Answer to your Q about the subnet mask, the Server send to clinet the subnet of assign IP , which is Op(1)
other info. send from Server to Client is depend on your config and default 
for example in lab abobe the R1 is server and R2 is client, I config DHCP pool and config under Pool the default-router and DNS server IP 
and you can see in capture that the Server send to client Op(3) router and Op(6) which contain the default-router and DNS IP.

so there are what we can called it default Op like subnet mask, lease time and there are config Op like DNS IP and default-router IP....etc. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Screenshot (30).png
the Answer to your Q about the subnet mask, the Server send to clinet the subnet of assign IP , which is Op(1)
other info. send from Server to Client is depend on your config and default 
for example in lab abobe the R1 is server and R2 is client, I config DHCP pool and config under Pool the default-router and DNS server IP 
and you can see in capture that the Server send to client Op(3) router and Op(6) which contain the default-router and DNS IP.

so there are what we can called it default Op like subnet mask, lease time and there are config Op like DNS IP and default-router IP....etc. 

@MHM Cisco World shows the usual data provided to a DHCP client, but DHCP, BTW, can provide other optional data too.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@kidNetwork,

Your mentor is most likely referring to the specific DHCP Parameters that are commonly provided:
IPv4 address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Server.

Both @MHM Cisco World and @Joseph W. Doherty have provided helpful information on additional DHCP parameters.

HTH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Thanks guys @NetworkDave , @Joseph W. Doherty , @MHM Cisco World for helping .

Thats what I was looking for, 

kidNetwork

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card