Views
Helpful
Replies

Error to create name vlan

athan1234
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

On the Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K IOSXE) I needed to install a vlan.

I discovered the issue because of the configuration of the client, which prevents me from adding the vlan. As a result, I changed the mode to transparent but am unsure of if this was the right choice.

SW-1(config)#vlan 100
VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is in CLIENT mode.

SW-1(config)#vtp mode transparent
Setting device to VTP Transparent mode for VLANS.

SW-1(config)#vlan 100

SW-1 (config-vlan)#name lumia

config-vlan mode quitting error 33: state change attempt

the problem Now, if I attempt to name a vlan, I get this message.

I can see that the vlan's name is incorrect. I guess this vlan dosent work 

100  VLAN0100     active      Gi2/0/5, Gi2/0/6, Gi2/0/7

status VTP domain status

SW-BR-P1#show vtp status
SW-BR-P1#show vtp status
VTP Version capable : 1 to 3
VTP version running : 2
VTP Domain Name : BR-VTP
VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
Device ID : 7061.7b6e.5e00
Configuration last modified by 192.168.5.111 at 8-3-21 05:23:13

Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode : Transparent
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs : 39
Configuration Revision : 0
MD5 digest : 0x21 0x1A 0x92 0x22 0x14 0xA7 0xAB 0x35
0xFB 0x96 0xF7 0x2A 0x8A 0xB1 0x78 0x01
SW-#

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After you converted from VTP client to Transparent, can you exit from config mode

post show vlan 100 ? do you see vlan before ? or is this created new one ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I try to create a new vlan 100 after changing the vtp client to vtp transparent, but I was unable to observe the error “ config-vlan mode quitting error 33: state change attempt “ so I configured some ports in access with the vlan 100 and saw the notification that says, "The vlan has been generated." For these reason I was Be aware that if you created  a vlan in a port but didn't define it before , the vlan will automatically be created. the cisco switch gets formed and has the name VLAN0xxx consistently.

athan1234
Level 3
Level 3

I can tell that the Nexux is the main SW. It is the VTP domain server.

I assume I'll need to set up the vlan in this SW, delete the vlan in the other access switch, and then come back and set the switch to client mode.
I'm hesitant to configure a new VLan 100 in the core Nexus switch this SW has a port channel and I don´t have knowle about NEXUX SW .
So, If I had create a new vlan in the Nexux core SW , I guess would it also propagate to the other SWiches ? Is it correct?
How can I install the new vlan in the Nexux core? I have afraid to generete a bucle or to pass the vlan for the correct Portchannel

NEXUX

# show vtp status
VTP Status Information
----------------------
VTP Version : 2 (capable)
Configuration Revision : 71
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs : 38
VTP Operating Mode : Server
VTP Domain Name : BR-VTP
VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled (Operationally Disabled)
VTP V2 Mode : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
MD5 Digest : 0x73 0xC1 0x09 0x44 0x5A 0x03 0x7B 0xC8
Configuration last modified by 192.168.200.254 at 8-3-21 05:23:13
Local updater ID is 192.168.3.201
VTP version running : 2

If you have VTP Server and VTP Client environment, always create VLAN on VTP Server, that automatically update all the cllients.

Once you made the switch to transparent, VTP Server not longer able to publish new vlan created on VTP Server.

Do not toggel client and transparent in production environment, this create big network outage.

BB

Hi, thanks for the response.
If I convert the transparent vtp to cliente once more, will the network change and a cut be made?

Regarding the SW Core VTP Server, if I establish a new VLAn, for example, vlan 100, will it have any bucles? Or, as I believe, will it not have any bucles because the PO are configured like trunk witout allowed vlan  so that when I create the new vlan, it will automatically pass for the port channel?

Let me give more clarity here :

1. when the VTP Server and Client running in environment, all the VLAN update will be passed to clients.

2. when you convert from transparent to client, all the vlan will be updated from Server, any Locally created VLAN not exits

3. Only VLAN information will be updated to VTP Client

4. any Port-channel configured with the command allowed vlan XX ( then new VLAN you need to add as part of config) VTP not do this task for you.

BB

I'll start by outlining my circumstances. In order to establish a new vlan in a particular SW, the SW receives an error that it is a VTP client. I was searching for the error on Google when I discovered that in order to configure something, I had to pass a VTP transparent and make it before attempting to set up the vlan 100.

Today  I have seen a  Nexux SW core  this swictch has every VLAN asnd  it is  VTP server  for it i need to set up the vlan 100 here 

My concerns about it are:

I have to convert the SW ias  VTP client mode because I'm not sure if it will affect the network in any negative ways. I also attempted to delete the automatically formed vlan0100, but I kept receiving the same warning, making it impossible.

VTP Server own all the database, if the VTP Server created VLAN 100, you need to delete from VTP Server.

You can not have different Database revision between VTP Server and Client.

Only exception case if the device VTP Transparent, ( as i mentioned if you move from VTP Client to VTP Transparent, all the VLAN may be working will cause issue)

VLAN (config)#no vlan 100

Error exiting config-vlan mode 33: Trying to change the status of a default 

is this on VTP Server ?

as per the output, some ports are part of VLAN 100, removing VLAN 100 will have service impact if they are associated.

BB

Hi

I moved this VTP client to transparent mode in order to setup the vlan 100 because I don't knew this client's topology. However, this was a mistake because I later discovered the core switch has a VTPServer, and I knew I should set up the vlan 100 there.For it I needed leave the same as before the Switch in client m ode and erase the vlan 100 . Then I will configure the vlan 100 in the Nexux core VTP SERVER

in that case if you do not have full picture of network topology ( VTP never play, its may bringdown the network)

if this is configured as client, convey the message to client or who ever business owner to create a VLAN 100 on VTP Server easy.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card