cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend network segment

martan6network
Level 1
Level 1

I have a vlan 5 that exists at site A. That is to say that vlan 5 at site A can be configured as a access port on multiple network devices or added as a allowed vlan on a trunk and end point devices will communicate. Gateway and firewall for vlan 5 exist at site A. I need to have vlan 5 exist at site B and be able to be configured as an access point on site B network devices. Site A to Site B use a ISP provided point to point connection. Traffic at site B lets say vlan 4, can communicate to vlan 5, OSPF routes exist between the two vlans and sites, not sure if that's relevant, but trying to provide as much info as I can. Thanks ahead for the assist. 

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the ISP offering Layer 2 connection between site to site, then yes what you mentioned can be done.

if you have any issue post both side confg.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What config would you need to see? I have an edge router on both ends. The larger site I have 6500 series switch beyond that and smaller site i have a 3850 stack. What protocol/function do I need to implement to get this working?  

l2vpn v3 will ok for you if SP can offer you it.
if SP is MPLS then AToM will be OK.

as @balaji.bandi  mention this SP work you only connect your SW to them router which config as L2VPN.

I currently running an EPL from Site A to Site B. What is the recommended protocol for this type of service?

EPL that great 

only link connect to router config it as access or trunk port. 

good luck friend 

if both are switches, and you are  getting layer2 connection, just configure it as trunk 

Hope you know how to configure the trunk between 2 switches.

if the link terminated to router, you would like to extend the VLAN 

you can use dot1q turning depends router, or l2vpn to extend the VLAN

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We have routers on both ends of the EPL. They then trunk to switches after that. I understand that the edge router needs to have a l2vpn to allow the Site A vlan to Site B but how do It configure that? I found this article by cisco which is helpful in explanation of concepts of implementation but not so much in how to configure the route itself for l2vpn. Do I need to get my ISP involved in this configuration? Do I need to configure both ends of the EPL for the l2vpn?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k-r6-2/lxvpn/configuration/guide/b-l2vpn-cg-asr9000-62x/b-l2vpn-cg-asr9000-62x_chapter_0101.html#task_986D29FFAD934CEBB6AF8804A1F642F5

as I know the config of L2vpn is done in Service provider router not in costumer router. 

Thanks for that information. Can anyone else confirm that must be done on PE and not CE? Just want confirmation before reaching out to ISP 

sure I will share with you the config of CE PE in both side. 
hope today. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card