cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast distribution / routing

divadko
Level 1
Level 1

I need help to choose and setup the best way for multicast distribution in our networl.

I have SW_1 (4506e sup7) what is multicast aggregation switch. All sat receivers are connected to vlan 20 with igmps snooping enabled.

I want to send 1 multicast group from vlan 20 thru int 3/30 to other SW_2 (4506e sup7) that should be completly isolated from vlan 20 to prevent joining SW2 to other groups in SW1 and also not mix multicast groups betwen 2 switches. And only 1 direction from sw1 to sw2.

I also want to receive 5 multicast grops from TV studios on SW1 from int gi 3/36 and mix them into vlan 20. The source multicast streems from tv studios have no IP without igmp snooping.

How to do it in best way and which protocolsh should i use?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @divadko,

PIM could be used for inter-VLAN multicast routing. Configure PIM on the SVIs associated with VLAN 20 on both SW_1 and SW_2 to enable multicast routing between the switches.

If you only require one-way multicast traffic from SW_1 to SW_2, you can use PIM Sparse Mode with a rendezvous point configuration. This will ensure that multicast traffic is only forwarded from SW_1 to SW_2 and not in the reverse direction.

For the TV studio multicast streams without IP and IGMP snooping, you can use IGMP proxy on SW_1 to convert the non-IP multicast streams into IP multicast streams that can be properly handled by the network.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

on which interfaces should i enable PIM? on vlan 20 or on non ip multicast uplink interface? gi 3/30 and vlan 20 too?

Also can you pls help how to integrate igmp proxy? interface 3/36 should be also as no switchport with enabled pim?

@divadko, have you got a topology?

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card