Views
Helpful
Replies

NVRAM Failed or No Good Sectors

noorudden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a router and NVRam seems to be damaged or corrupted Cisco 2921.

Can we change the NVRAM ram physically? because i changed the cf card and still doing the same.

Router#wr
Building configuration...
[OK]
Router#
*Sep 14 15:11:35.471: %NVRAM-2-NO_GOOD_SECTORS: No good sectors in Primary region
*Sep 14 15:11:35.471: %NVRAM-3-WRITE_FAILED: Write to Primary region failed
*Sep 14 15:11:35.471: %NVRAM-3-WRITE_FAILED: Write to Backup region failed
Router#

see attached as well.

Please help as warranty has expired and cannot issue TAC.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

if you open the chassis, you can locate and replace the NVRAM (provided of course you have a spare one).

I found the below in another post:

--> The NVRAM chip is next to the ROM chip on the motherboard. If you look from the back end of the router with the case off (the end with the interfaces and power supply, there are two removable chips by the flash. The left one is the ROM and the right one is the NVRAM.

hi,

I tried that and there is only CF card and replaced it but i think this issue is onboard.

but thank you very much for helpful reply.

Hello,

is that a G1 or G2 2921 ?

no sure of that.

how to check?

I know this is probably too late for you but it may help somebody else.

I have an C2921 Which has me entirely looked out, My idea as seen from some other versions was to swap out NVRAM and just start over.

There is a problem however, NVRAM is not removable in these boards, Okay it is if you have the equipment to de-solder it. Anyway If I am not mistaken. The NVRAM chip in a 2921 sits inside the first plastic frame for EHWIC0 expansion bay. If I am correct it is the square one and not the one sitting just to the edge of that frame.

This is the chip number: xc3s200a more details on it, you will need a decent phone cam to get a good look at it for the rest.

Here is a link to a supplier. Link is here (crazy long url) should open in new tab.
make sure it is the right one before you buy of course. Failing that, do the same on all the chips you can see and just start looking up what you see on them.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card