cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF routes not updating

Brian AD
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a lab environment where I am trying to use OSPF on three Cisco 2960 routers.  Routers are connected via serial interface (s0/0/0 on 1 router connects to s0/0/1 on another router, s0/0/0 on each router is the DCE and has clockrate configured).  All IP Addresses and subnet masks have been verified as accurate.  All interfaces have protocol and status as 'up'.  However, no routes are being distributed via OSPF.  Original OSPF commands listed below:

Rtr (config)#  router ospf 10

Rtr (config-router)#  network 172.16.1.5 0.0.0.3 area 0    (router to router link using s0/0/0)

Rtr (config-router)#  network 172.16.1.14 0.0.0.3 area 0    (router to router link using s0/0/1)

Rtr (config-router)#  network 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.63 area 0    (router to internal network link using fa0/0)

Similar configurations are on all three routers.  This setup works great in Packet Tracer, but I cannot get it to work in the actual lab.

Being a newbie (and already spending about 5 hours on this issue), what steps am I missing to complete the OSPF configuration?

Thank you in advance,

Brian (MIS instructor)

22 Replies 22

I am not sure I understand the syntax of the command above.  When I type as indicated, I get

invalid input detected

messages.  are you inputting the letter 'L' in lls? 

no capability lls <<- add this under router ospf in all routers 

Can your Routers ping eachother?

ping 172.16.1.13 from Rtr 2 (172.16.1.14)

If the ping doesn't work its not an OSPF problem. You need basic connectivity. May be an interface configuration issue.

I cannot ping between routers.  All connections show status up and protocol up.  I can ping using static routes.  When I rely on OSPF, I lose all inter-device connectivity.

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Are you sure you have wired it up correctly. From the router that have 172.16.1.5 if it is on s0/0/0, is that cable connected to the interface in the neighbor router that is actually configured with 172.16.1.6. If this connection is correcet, and the interfaces shows as up/up then you should be able to ping from router with 172.16.1.5 to 172.16.1.6. If the wiring is messed up the interfaces may go up, but no communication is possible. Make sure all interfaces match with the neighbor and that they can ping, this is the foundation before going to troubleshoot ospf.

Positive.  I have triple-checked all connections.  When I turn off OSPF, I can ping the interfaces.  When I enable OSPF, I cannot.  I believe it has to do with the devices not recognizing any neighbors.  I get 0 neighbors, even with the connected routers.

Brian AD
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved!  After several times looking over connections, I found I had reversed two router-to-router serial cables.  I moved the wires and, viola, everything worked perfectly.  Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!  I learned a lot.  Now to put my tail between my legs in shame (briefly) and back to being productive.

Dont worry, 
it happened alot, 
good job and have a nice day. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card