Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Based Routing - Monitoring availability

Schlumpf123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Im about to implement a Policy Based Routing in a complex environment.

I'm a little bit frustrated with the monitoring possibilites, which can be applied on a route-map for policy based Routing.

I've attached a picture, to explain my problem a little bit easier.

I'd like to route Traffic from Host A 172.16.0.5 to Host B 192.168.50.5 via Policy Based Routing. It's not really a problem to implement this, but i would like to add more availability monitoring options.

I've defined one Route Map on A_Router1 and A_Router2:

route-map PBR

match ip address PBR

set ip next-hop verify-availability 10 10.0.0.3 track 130 (includes icmp check to B_ISP RTR1 and B_ISP RTR2)

set ip next-hop verify-availability 20 10.0.0.4 track 130 (includes icmp check to B_ISP RTR1 and B_ISP RTR2)

PBR ACL

permit ip host 172.16.0.5 host 192.168.50.5

The setup works fine, but now to my problem. I need a possibility to verify the availability of my next-hop in combination of the track 130.

Otherwise the Router will use 10.0.0.3 still as next-hop, although it's not reachable anymore. Because the track 130 is still up (via 10.0.0.4). 

This means i need an OR correlation. If the next-hop is not available or if the track 130 is down, than check the next sequence number and then ignore the route-map.

I also tried to achieve this with set ip next-hop recursive. But in my scenario it dosn't work, because the fallback would be my default route.

It's only a port of the whole setup. To explain the whole setup it would take a lot of time. I hope it's understandable what i triy to achieve.

Do you have an idea to solve my problem? Thank you very much.

1 Reply 1

Hello

For some reason i cannot see your attached picture however what you mention about

@Schlumpf123 wrote:

I need a possibility to verify the availability of my next-hop in combination of the track 130.

Otherwise the Router will use 10.0.0.3 still as next-hop, although it's not reachable anymore. Because the track 130 is still up (via 10.0.0.4)

You can and guess have combined the tracking with ip sla monitoring but if you saying the track doesn't drop when reachability isn't available to your monitored ip address then of course PBR wont fail over as it should, you need to make sure your ip sla monitored address is only reachable from the one source ip/interface not for both.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card