Helpful
Replies

QOS strategy WAN - 7600

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

hi expert,

seeking your great advice on the below scenario:

I work in small ISP and we provide internet over DSL and point to point internet as well.

We have a cisco SCE in which we use to control customers bandwidth and monitoring. The thing we are facing right now is that we are maxing out our overall bandwidth. But it does not tally with what we setting on SCE. At first i thought we were doing it all wrong, but all is ok.

Our setup is basically like the below:

UPSTREAM PROVIDER ======== IGR======SCE=====CORE====BRAS======MPLS====CUSTOMER.

here's our problem. Let say we have provision a customer with 40Mpbs symmetric 1:1 of traffic on SCE UP/DOWN, we are seeing the customer downloading 100Mbps of traffic on IGR. but as soon as it reach SCE, they get rate limit. Is this a normal behaviour since we have not applied policing on IGR directly? Note that IGR is a 7600 router. I know we cant do much regarding download traffic, but is there a way to setup some sort of QOS on the 7600.

Please advise.

Thanks 

Steve

3 Replies 3

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steve

I am not really sure how SCE works and which SCE version you are using. But on 7600, you can police the incoming traffic from upstream provider. I would like to know which line card you are using on the 7600 towards the upstream provider and the SCE. Below is a sample config for ingress policing on ES+ linecard.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES40_config_guide/es40_sw_config/es40_chap7.html#83603

Hope this helps.

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Vinit,

thanks for your prompt reply.

You are right about policing, but we will need to create different classes in order to match 10,000 customers.

This will be time consuming. Is there a simpler way of doing this.

For the SCE, its Service Content Engine, you can configure QOS, filtering up to L7.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Hello Steve

thanks for the information on SCE. The only thing that you can do on 7600 is limit the traffic not just one customer but overall traffic using policers or shapers so that it doesnt exceeds the overall traffic on the interfaces / linecard.

nothing much apart from that.

Thanks,

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card