cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about EIGRP variance multiplier - one multiplier for each FD?

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

In the ensari CG page 100:

EIGRP supports unequal-cost load balancing, which allows installation of both successor
routes and feasible successors into the EIGRP RIB. To use unequal-cost load balancing with
EIGRP, change EIGRP’s variance multiplier. The EIGRP variance value is the feasible distance (FD) for a route multiplied by the EIGRP variance multiplier. Any feasible successor’s
FD with a metric below the EIGRP variance value is installed into the RIB. EIGRP installs
multiple routes where the FD for the routes is less than the EIGRP multiplier value up to the
maximum number of ECMP routes, as discussed earlier.
Dividing the feasible successor metric by the successor route metric provides the variance
multiplier. The variance multiplier is a whole number, and any remainders should always
round up.
Using the topology shown in Figure 2-2 and output from the EIGRP topology table in
Figure 2-3, the minimum EIGRP variance multiplier can be calculated so that the direct path
from R1 to R4 can be installed into the RIB. The FD for the successor route is 3328, and
the FD for the feasible successor is 5376. The formula provides a value of about 1.6 and is
always rounded up to the nearest whole number to provide an EIGRP variance multiplier
of 2. Figure 2-14 shows the calculation.

2023-04-18 08_40_32-IOU1.png

Is there 1 multiplier calculated for each feasible distance? Or is there a base multiplier calculated, for example from the  highest (or lowest) FD and then compared? Currently I'm assuming a variance multiplier is caculated for each FD, an FD being a possible backup root if the reported distance on the advertising router is less than the distance calculated locally (to ensure no loops), and the lowest variance multipliers are installed as ECMP routes? Or is there a/one base multiplier that is compared against each possible backup route? Neither the encor or ensari (up the point I've read) have elaborated on this.

4 Replies 4

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

I know we can change the variance multiplier via commands. I'm wondering how the default multiplier is calculated. I'm assuming it's a base default multiplier,   Feasible Successor FD/ Successor FD,  but which Feasible Successor is used? Unless one variance multiplier is calculated per each possible backup route?

The default multiplier is 1. When this value is used then only the successor route in inserted into the RIB. When you specify a larger multiplier it makes it possible that some feasible successor routes might qualify and also be inserted into the RIB.

HTH

Rick

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/troubleshooting-eigrp-variance-command/ta-p/3129662

it simple the Max metric / Min metric (the path that EIGRP select)
then the value from this equation is approximate to right number 

now how we find these metric by show ip eigrp topology 

BUT what if we have multi path each with different metric ?? the value from above step is compare with each metric of each path any path less that this value is elect by EIGRP as unequal path, and path more than this vlaue is not elect by EIGRP

That is correct. The variance applies to the EIGRP instance but is calculated per prefix. As you pointed out FD for different routes can be different. As long as the route passes the FC it will become an ECMP if variance is modified. It applies this multiplier to each FS and calculated accordingly. 

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card