cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A router with VPN server for small buisness (rv340w alternative)

anders_molgaard
Level 1
Level 1

I am helping at my dads small firm. 

They are right now using an older router from the rv series, which only supports QuickVPN (which cisco stopped supporting). 
He would like to have remote access to a network drive, and I figured the rv340w router might be the solution. 
As far as I understand, it should be possible to set it up as a VPN server, and then connect to the network with native windows l2pt over ipsec.
It seems both pretty easy to setup and secure.

However the rv340w reached end of life, and is not supported after 2022. 

What are my possible alternatives when key points are:
* Easy installation and configuration
* Low price

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RV seems to be reasonable for you, interms  of price and feature wise

Look at the models and EOL of the product :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/series.html

Due to trends changing we may look maximum now a days 3 years of span of the product, unlike we use to do before 5 years.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 
However it seems like the rv340w all ready reached end of life, and cisco will in 2022 stop pushing firmware updates. 
Are there coming any replacements in the pipeline, or does it still make sense to buy and use the rv340w for maybe a five year period?

BR

even though software security stop @2022, hardwrare replacement will be until 2026

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: