Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 lost login password after unexpected power outage

nasch
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

we use a SG300-28 and i can't login after an power outage. Although I use the same login as before when trying to login the webinterface it says 'Invalid user name or password..'

I found the information how to reset the password, and i see the reset on front of the switch - but i don't know how to connect to the switch to '..interrupt the boot process of the switch. Console in and power cycle the switch, you should see the Cisco logo, then you have about two seconds to hit a key to get the boot menu..'

I use OSX and know there is a Terminal - but how could i connect to the switch directly + what do i have to do then?)

I would be very grateful for help!

Nasch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

so ethernet to ethernet would not work?

For password reset no.

There is no specifc Console Port - to which port should i connect the console cable?

Shoud be.

On the backside of the switch - difficult to see - is only the power plug and a socket that looks like VGA.

that´s the console port. You need this cable then.

console_cable.JPG

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

For console connection you need to have a console cable . Then, you need to use some terminal software like Putty or TeraTerm to stablish the connection with switch.  You may also need driver.

console.png

Hi

so ethernet to ethernet would not work? There is no specifc Console Port - to which port should i connect the console cable? On the backside of the switch - difficult to see - is only the power plug and a socket that looks like VGA.

Could a reset also help?

Thanks!

so ethernet to ethernet would not work?

For password reset no.

There is no specifc Console Port - to which port should i connect the console cable?

Shoud be.

On the backside of the switch - difficult to see - is only the power plug and a socket that looks like VGA.

that´s the console port. You need this cable then.

console_cable.JPG

Hi nasch,

Here is a link to the step-by-step guide on how to perform password recovery. The cable you would need for the Sx300 is a DB9 to RJ45 console cable. The console port is at the back panel of the switch and is VGA like 9 pin port. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-300-series-managed-switches/smb4985-administrator-password-recovery-for-300-and-500-series-manag.html

Thanks