Views
Helpful
Replies

9120 AP not joining Controller

HAT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All , 

I m in the process of deploying a SDA based Wifi solution .This will consist of a typical SDA setup with Fabric Edge node ( where APs are connecting to )   > Border and Control plane node and Fusion router managed by DNAC. 

A virtual wireless controller ( C9800-CL ) has  been successfully installed on VMware ESXI and  added to the site fabric.  Routing is fine from edge router all the way to the shared services ( DHCP Server , DNS ) .

The SSIDs and network profiles for the site  have  been successfully configured on DNAC and working as expected for other fabrics . The DCHP is also set up  with an AP Vlan pointing at the Wireless controller via Option 43 .

Upon logging into the WLC GUI I can observe that the SSIDs have been picked up as you would expect .

However upon connecting the AP to the edge node , the AP is not able to join the controller . I can confirm  I have had to configure the WLC with an AP certificate , apparently this is a requirement for 9800-CL as opposed to physical devices that ship with it .

Any idea of where I m getting it wrong ? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance .

7 Replies 7

Hi

Let´s start for the basic. Does the WLC have the right date and time, this is very critical for certificates.

Hi . Thank for the reply .  Yes  the time is correct . This is  being synchronized with our NTP server via DNAC  

i'd advise 1st to follow instructions given here: Troubleshoot Catalyst 9800 AP Join or Disconnection Issues Flow - Cisco

Thanks for the link , I look into it

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At the back of the AP is a sticker (or plate) that has the serial number of the AP.  In that same plate is the Date of Manufacture.   Does the AP have a Date of Manufacture of September 2022 (and later)? 

If it does, then the issue is due to FN - 72424 - Later Versions of Some Wi-Fi 6 Access Points Fail to Join the WLAN Controller.

I will check this out 

HAT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All 

The issue was around DNAC version being incompatible  with the APs model . Once we upgraded DNAC the APs were successfully discovered . 

Thanks all for your time and assistance